Lazer treatment

j666gak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have had diabetes now for 12 or 13yrs now, and during that time have attended numerous eye scans. Well yesterday I got the shock of my life when the doctor said that although my vision was better that my eyes are worse, then a canula was put in my arm and some dye was put in then I was blinded for 5/10mins taking more pictures. I was then told by the doctor I was going to need two lots of lazer treatment on both eyes (4 total), at 29 years old.

I have a bit of a phobia with things touching my eyes, so this fill me with fear! I am wondering what is like for people who have had the procedure ie how long it takes? whats involved? equipment used... like clamps to keep your eyes open? recovery time?

Thanks
Guy

Unbeliever

Don't worry . Modern laser treatment is not painful. You sit at a table much like the one where your eyes are tested. You have drops in your eyes and you can't feel the contact lens they put on your eye.
Then you are asked if you can see a red dot. After that you are told not to follow he red dot which can be difficult.
There are different intensu=ities of laser. With the lightest you can see the doctor in front of you but with the deeper intensity you only see the blocks of light. When the doctor is ready o use the laser you are warned to keep as still as possible and look straight ahead. Depending upon the intensity of the laser you will see little dots appearing in the blocks of light before you. if it is very intense it is almost a psychedelic experience - a little like small coloured fireworks exploding. You feel no pain. I have had more laser treatments than I can count and I have never felt pain. If you do there must be something wrong.
The time taken will vary according to what needs o be done as does the recovery ime.
Sometimes my eyes have recovered before I reached home. At other times it has been days or weeks.

Only on one occasion when I had 40 mins laser on one eye and en on the other did I feel it necessary to lie down when I got home as I was completely disorientaed.

It is more of a strange unearthly experience than a scary medical procedure.

I know that 4 lots of laser must sound like a lot but it may only be a few minutes each time. he angogram you had should mean that the source of the leakage can be pinpointed thus making the treatment more accurate.

Due to my own experience I always warn people to ask if the fluid needs to be dried up by injections
before laser. They do tend to do this when necessary now but it does no harm to make sure.
Good luck and try not o worry. There are worse things than laser.
Some have one treatment and never need another.

sugar2

Hi, It is a long time since I had laser...adn I was 25 at the time. As Unbeliever describes, it is unpleasant, but not painful. I had multiple sessions on each eye...each lasting about 20 minutes.

My eyes water atthe thought of someone going near my eys, but even so, managed to go through teh experience. It was not nice, but for me, similarin unpleasanyness to having a filling.

I wanted to tell you about the "pinhole check" When I had laser...18 years ago now, I could not see very much through the lasered eye, for a bout a week. It was very blurry. I was scared witless, and rushed back to teh hospital. the consultant said..this doesn't usually happen, but sometimes does becasue of swelling etc. he got me to look though a pinhole...and I could see! Thsi reassured me no end I have to say!

So, if things are blurry after the proceedure, try not to panic!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unbeliever explains the procedure very well!

The 2 lots of treatment on both eyes will more than likely be carried out at separate appointments as there is a limit to how many laser shots can go in one eye in each session, you may find with the second lot of laser that the eye is more sensitive but taking pain relief prior to the appointment certainly does help with the discomfort.

I've had laser treatment in both eyes over the eyes but they have been settled for some time now, my vision is still good and although I have lost a small percentage of my peripheral vision it isn't any where near enough to prevent me from driving. It's important to inform the DVLA (if you drive) about your treatment and they will ask for a report from your Ophthalmologist now or at your next license renewal date.

Good luck!

Nigel

Unbeliever

I have been fortunate enough to be treated with a state of the art new laser "machine" donated by a former patient in her will. Apparently this is becoming the norm and is much better than the previous generation of machines.

I was terrified of having laser treatment because I had heard other patients telling the doctors that they didn't want any more laser as it was too painful.

SiI think anyone who had undergone laser surgery some years ago would be pleasantly surprised nowadays.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unbeliever said:
I have been fortunate enough to be treated with a state of the art new laser "machine" donated by a former patient in her will. Apparently this is becoming the norm and is much better than the previous generation of machines.

I was terrified of having laser treatment because I had heard other patients telling the doctors that they didn't want any more laser as it was too painful.

SiI think anyone who had undergone laser surgery some years ago would be pleasantly surprised nowadays.

Sounds good, so what's the difference to the old machines is it just the decrease in pain?

Nigel

Unbeliever

I think they are more controllable ie levels of intensity can be more finely tuned. Depends upon the skill of the operator of course.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unbeliever said:
I think they are more controllable ie levels of intensity can be more finely tuned. Depends upon the skill of the operator of course.

Thanks Unbeliever! :)

Nigel

bonerp

Pop a couple of pain killers as they put drops in - good way to minimise any discomfort and after effects of the laser..

just a tip :)

Unbeliever

bonerp said:
Pop a couple of pain killers as they put drops in - good way to minimise any discomfort and after effects of the laser..

just a tip :)
Think that would depend upon the effect painkillers have on you. Laser treatment demands concentration from the patient in keeping very still and trying NOT to follow he little red light - sometimes difficult when the lasre is intense and you can see nothing else.

I know painkillers would make things more difficult for me but of course we are all different and the laser treatment and effecs will be different for everyone.

Its obviously worked for you bonerp . Worth a try to calm nerves I suppose but don't try it if they tend to make you fall asleep! :D