LC yay or nay?!

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people, weird textures and dentists!!
I'll try to keep this short and sweet :)

Been T1 for 18 years, finally got a grip and trying really hard to behave myself. I have recently joined the forum and been pouring over all the useful information for a while now, thank you all! :angelic:

Now, down to brass tacks. Should I go LC? I have been counting carbs recently as a way to work out insulin (even that is new to me, but is definitely helping control!) And I get the distinct feeling a lot of people follow LCHF or something similar?

Basically, I want to hear your success and horror stories with LC`ing, I feel like it is the way forward, even for a picky eater like me, but just want some background before I make the move!:nailbiting::nailbiting:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have a lower carb pretty much all of 50+ years. It was the way my brothers and I were raised as children.
I was advised once to have breakfasts of porridge or toast but for me it did not work.
I havebeena pickie eater too (well, at least- I disliked fish, olives, avocados etc). Stupidity on my part. Having small introduction of them and I love them.
Apart from the porridge/toast I've always been a size 8-10 and pretty **** healthy from my diabetes aspect.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Mia, low carb works for me, I had erratic Bg levels and it was affecting how I was feeling when I tried to eat a normal diet, so I decided to try and minimise the highs and lows which eating low carb has helped me with. Everyone has their own story but I prefer this way as I'm not running high and low all the time, I keep better balance now which has improved my moods. I certainly don't completely restrict my diet if I want an ice cream I will still have one. I have cut out bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar. I also eat far more healthily now as I eat lots of veg, salads, fish, meat, diary, nuts. I still have to bolus for protein, so have had an omelette his morning and taken some qa for that

If you are thinking of it then give it a whirl, worst case scenario you can't stomach it and go back to what you are currently doing !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Mia_Malaney , I first started reducing carbs when I started weight training last September. The initial aim was to reduce my body fat. The targets had next to nothing to do with my diabetes and it was all about losing some weight and getting fitter.

The result was that my body fat levels halved over 3 months, my insulin sensitivity increased (as a result of lower body fat levels and more muscle mass). I wasn't eating LCHF specifically as my Daily carb intake was about 80g and my protein levels were and are much higher than the LCHF approach normally dictates.

What I found with cutting the daily amount of carbs was that my blood glucose variation also reduced and it highlighted an issue I was having with Lantus that I hadn't been aware of, which was variable delivery of the insulin.

Since January, I have persistently low carbed (again not specifically LCHF) and continued to train. With a change of insulin to Levemir alongside this, my BG levels have become much more consistent and my variation is much better managed. I am therefore an "Aye". It works for me.

@Emmotha has also experienced a much more steady bg level following LC and found it to be very effective.

Reactions: 6 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as above I find. LC i find insulin works better and quicker reducing the time I am peaking for if I do have some carbs. LC for me is 50-80g a day, which was previously a meals' worth (NHS guidelines)

I do have cheat days or treats but its not a huge deal i find. if you like ham cheese and eggs you'll be alright!!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a yay from me...

I've only discovered this way of eating a couple of months ago and having read a few of the success stories and improved blood results I thought I'd give it a go.

Since following this diet I have lost 10lb so far, not that I was really in it for this, it's just an added bonus...but I've seen a marked improvement in my BG control and find staying within range a whole lot easier than previously. I've also significantly reduced my HBA1c result in just over 10 weeks...even looking forward to the next one and that's unheard of for me...I used to dread getting my results.

For me I would say the only drawback is that it means I have to be quite organised, this isn't a bad thing necessarily, having spent most of my life being quite lazy and disorganized, it's been a bit of a kick up the backside in terms of getting everything prepared for work the night before, but really that's a small price to pay...especially given that I feel so much healthier and in control of my BG.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely it's as simple as "if you're struggling for good control on a 'regular' diet, then try it" and "if you're not, then no need unless you want to low carb for other (non diabetes related) reasons"?

I don't low carb but I would consider it if I started to find it more difficult to control my BG on a regular diet in the future.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Counting carbs will help your control a lot.

I don't low carb. I have a moderate amount of carbs and eat cereal, pasta, rice, potato, etc. my last HbA1C was 28 (4.7). I'm slim and don't need to lose weight.

I try to eat healthily and avoid too much processed food, but I eat a similar amount of carbs to what I would have done if I hadn't got diabetes. Some Type 1s do low carb, some don't. It's a question of what suits you - your body and your lifestyle.

What's your HbA1C? How much carbohydrate do you usually eat in a day now?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the very least it's well worth a try. I have been eating low carb since January 2014, and it has worked really well for my control. HOWEVER, there is a low carbohydrate 'initiation' that many people go through, and I was no exception.

Carbohydrate is addictive. There's no two ways about that. So when you limit its consumption, there are withdrawal symptoms and side effects. They are temporary, but it does make the first few weeks difficult. I powered through, because my blood sugars vastly improved and that kept me going. I will list what I experienced, to give you an idea of what to expect.

Fatigue. Your body can use fat and protein as its fuel source, but it takes a while for your body to fully get the message. Your cells might take a few weeks to adapt to the change of diet, so you will probably feel a lot more tired to begin with.

Dehydration. Initially, your body will think it's starving. 'Where has my lovely carbohydrate gone?!' It screams. So it does the logical thing, and releases a lot of your glycogen stores, to make up for the supposed shortfall in energy. Glycogen comes fortified with water. You lose glycogen, you lose water as well. I actually thought I had kidney failure, I got such bad abdominal cramps. My urine also went a horrific dark orange colour. I then realised I had not had anything to drink all morning, and had a bottle of water. The relief was instantaneous. You will probably find that you need to drink a lot more water in the early weeks.

Cramps. This one is caused by lack of salt. We hear about how too much salt is bad for us, but too little ain't a picnic either. If you enjoy ready meals, pizza, etc, you probably get a lot more salt than you care to realise (just like I did). When you take away those foods, as they are loaded with carbohydrate, you drastically reduce your salt intake. You can offset this by eating things like bacon or smoked salmon. Long story short, if you find you are getting leg cramps, sprinkle some salt over your meals. Obviously don't coat everything in it, just up your intake a bit. The relief of symptoms should be pretty rapid.

Changes to sex drive. This one can be unpredictable. Some people have claimed their libido shoots through the roof in the early stages of low carb. I had the opposite effect. For about three-four weeks my sex drive entirely disappeared. Once my body adapted to low carb, everything went back to normal.

Some people transition very nicely into low carbohydrate diets. Others find the side effects pretty overwhelming. I should also note that I immediately went from 200-300g of carbohydrate a day, down to 30g a day. It may serve you better to gradually reduce the amounts over a period of days or weeks. Keep an eye on your blood sugars, and note down results if you don't already. Your insulin requirements will change drastically as your diet does. It's also worth pointing out that the body can convert protein into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you will need to inject insulin to cover protein when you low carb. I tend to give 1 unit of Lispro for every 20g of protein, but it is very individual.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When on insulin, the thing that will tell you to reduce carbs is when you start to gain weight beyond a sensible BMI. As insulin enables the body to use the carbs you eat (assuming you aren't already overweight and insulin resistant) then controlling the carbs and moving the insulin down a bit will give you both blood sugar and weight control

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big yes from me. I've lost a lot of weight (much needed) and have seen my glucose levels really even out. It's much easier to manage for me.

I'm not a good cook, but find plenty to eat and sometimes even struggle to get to my 30g carbs. You wouldn't have to start of that low, but I would say give reducing your carbs a go and see how you feel :)

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Counting carbs will help your control a lot.

I don't low carb. I have a moderate amount of carbs and eat cereal, pasta, rice, potato, etc. my last HbA1C was 28 (4.7). I'm slim and don't need to lose weight.

I try to eat healthily and avoid too much processed food, but I eat a similar amount of carbs to what I would have done if I hadn't got diabetes. Some Type 1s do low carb, some don't. It's a question of what suits you - your body and your lifestyle.

What's your HbA1C? How much carbohydrate do you usually eat in a day now?

Thanks for your reply @azure to be honest, I haven't had my HbA1C done in many years (head in the sand job) but I know the last one was around 9. Since I have been counting, it works out an average of around 300 a day. I don't need to lose weight as I am perfectly healthy weight, just my habits which aren't!

I agree, just a case of giving it a shot and see if it suits me :)

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the very least it's well worth a try. I have been eating low carb since January 2014, and it has worked really well for my control. HOWEVER, there is a low carbohydrate 'initiation' that many people go through, and I was no exception.

Carbohydrate is addictive. There's no two ways about that. So when you limit its consumption, there are withdrawal symptoms and side effects. They are temporary, but it does make the first few weeks difficult. I powered through, because my blood sugars vastly improved and that kept me going. I will list what I experienced, to give you an idea of what to expect.

Fatigue. Your body can use fat and protein as its fuel source, but it takes a while for your body to fully get the message. Your cells might take a few weeks to adapt to the change of diet, so you will probably feel a lot more tired to begin with.

Dehydration. Initially, your body will think it's starving. 'Where has my lovely carbohydrate gone?!' It screams. So it does the logical thing, and releases a lot of your glycogen stores, to make up for the supposed shortfall in energy. Glycogen comes fortified with water. You lose glycogen, you lose water as well. I actually thought I had kidney failure, I got such bad abdominal cramps. My urine also went a horrific dark orange colour. I then realised I had not had anything to drink all morning, and had a bottle of water. The relief was instantaneous. You will probably find that you need to drink a lot more water in the early weeks.

Cramps. This one is caused by lack of salt. We hear about how too much salt is bad for us, but too little ain't a picnic either. If you enjoy ready meals, pizza, etc, you probably get a lot more salt than you care to realise (just like I did). When you take away those foods, as they are loaded with carbohydrate, you drastically reduce your salt intake. You can offset this by eating things like bacon or smoked salmon. Long story short, if you find you are getting leg cramps, sprinkle some salt over your meals. Obviously don't coat everything in it, just up your intake a bit. The relief of symptoms should be pretty rapid.

Changes to sex drive. This one can be unpredictable. Some people have claimed their libido shoots through the roof in the early stages of low carb. I had the opposite effect. For about three-four weeks my sex drive entirely disappeared. Once my body adapted to low carb, everything went back to normal.

Some people transition very nicely into low carbohydrate diets. Others find the side effects pretty overwhelming. I should also note that I immediately went from 200-300g of carbohydrate a day, down to 30g a day. It may serve you better to gradually reduce the amounts over a period of days or weeks. Keep an eye on your blood sugars, and note down results if you don't already. Your insulin requirements will change drastically as your diet does. It's also worth pointing out that the body can convert protein into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you will need to inject insulin to cover protein when you low carb. I tend to give 1 unit of Lispro for every 20g of protein, but it is very individual.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! There is a lot of positives and success stories on here, but I knew there must be some initial issues and I just wanted an idea of what these would be before jumping into it :)

In conclusion, I am definitely going to give it a go! You never know it might work wonderfully for me but you don't know unless you try!

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply @azure to be honest, I haven't had my HbA1C done in many years (head in the sand job) but I know the last one was around 9. Since I have been counting, it works out an average of around 300 a day. I don't need to lose weight as I am perfectly healthy weight, just my habits which aren't!

I agree, just a case of giving it a shot and see if it suits me :)

I'm eating more carbs at the moment because I'm breastfeeding, but generally I'd have something like 180g of carbs a day. So when I have pasta I have a moderate portion not a 'normal' portion, etc. I've found carb counting and careful testing have allowed me to eat this amount of carbs.

I'm sure your HbA1C will be improved - matching insulin to carbs is crucial for good control. It's really good you're trying to focus more on your diabetes. Diabetes is a pain in the neck (or legs, bum, etc!) but it's the only way to not let it win, in my opinion.

Good luck :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! There is a lot of positives and success stories on here, but I knew there must be some initial issues and I just wanted an idea of what these would be before jumping into it :)

In conclusion, I am definitely going to give it a go! You never know it might work wonderfully for me but you don't know unless you try!

Thanks to everyone for their replies!
No problem, happy to be of assistance :). I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.