ninasings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi everyone
I have been trying to low carb eat for the past 6 minths. I am type 2 injecting insulin...Lantus at night and Novo Mix before meals. Diagnosed in 2000.
family history plus low thyroid and many other chronic auto-immune problems. It seems now I am very intolerant to carbs and the insulin doesn't deal with it very well. Can start with blg of 11.0 and then after carbs it will go up to 20.0? However in the evening if I eat something sweet the Lantus seems to deal with it very well. I am in the obese BMI (at 32) - find exercise very difficult due to spine and neck issues. Anyone any suggestions?
thank you.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of carbs are you eating when you do eat carbs? If you're eating high GI carbs you will spike and drop quicker. If you are eating the low GI it should help to keep it more stable. Also another trick is to eat fat with carbs to slow down absorption in your blood.

Another thing to consider is it just may be you haven't got your insulin dosage right for what you're eating. You may also need a different type of insulin as they all have different profiles. I'm on lantus and I personally find it wears off before 24 hours. My endo insists it is supposed to last 24 hours and he refused to allow me to split the dose but I think from my experience lantus wears off after about 18 hours. I definitely always get higher sugar in the late afternoon and early evening than I do in the mornings. I take my lantus dose at 8.30 pm every day.

It may be worthwhile speaking to your diabetic team about whether or not you're on the right insulin, etc. Also you could have higher insulin resistance too and just may need a higher dosage.

Well there's some ideas to think about. I wish you the best. :)