LCHF Ice Cream

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always been partial to ice cream, but shop bought stuff is brutal on the number of carbs so is a big no-no when following the LCHF diet (and, I'd guess, for diabetics in general). I therefore decided to experiment with making a decent, scoopable, ice cream that had lots of fat and very few carbs.
The two recipes below have been a great success for me and taste far, far better than anything I've bought from a shop. I use an ice cream maker which I think helps keep things soft but you should be able to do it without if you give things a good churn manually

Be aware that these ice creams are incredibly rich and you probably won't want more than 50g at a time :)

I've used weights rather than volume because it's easier when making it and dishing it up to use a set of scales.

Raspberry and Clotted Cream Ice Cream
200g Double Cream
100g Clotted Cream
50g full cream milk
100g Raspberries
5 teaspoons of Splenda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 Eggs (British Lion Mark standard to avoid risk of salmonella)
1/2 cap vodka

Method
Mix clotted cream and double cream together until smooth. Add eggs to the milk beat gently until thoroughly mixed then add to the cream mixture. Pulp the raspberries in a blender then add the milk/egg and cream to blender, along with the splenda.
Finally, add the vodka and blend for 30 seconds

strain if you want to remove the pips then churn in an ice cream maker for 30-40 minutes. Once churned, pop in freezer and enjoy!

Nutritional Info per 100g

Calories: 420
Fat: 41g (of which 24g saturates)
Carbs: 3.7g (of which 2.8g sugars)
Protein: 4.2g

Vanilla Clotted Cream Ice Cream
250g Double Cream
100g Clotted Cream
50g full cream milk
5 teaspoons of Splenda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 Eggs (British Lion Mark standard to avoid risk of salmonella)
1/2 cap vodka

Method
Mix clotted cream and double cream together until smooth. Add eggs to the milk beat gently until thoroughly mixed then add to the cream mixture. Put the cream and milk / egg mixture in a blender, add the splenda and vodka and blend for 30 seconds

Churn in an ice cream maker for 30-40 minutes. Once churned, pop in freezer and enjoy!

Nutritional Info per 100g

Calories: 524
Fat: 53g (of which 31g saturates)
Carbs: 2.9g (of which 2.1g sugars)
Protein: 4.7g

Reactions: 11 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
try the search bar at the top and search smidges ice cream emporium. (sp)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did try a search at first and couldn't find anything so I thought they might be useful for someone. Apologies if I've made the forum untidy by posting about something that already has a thread about it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I did try a search at first and couldn't find anything so I thought they might be useful for someone. Apologies if I've made the forum untidy by posting about something that already has a thread about it
Hey no apologies needed we like untidy!
Sounds tasty and might have a go at that over the weekend.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
no problem, just thought there might be some new ideas for you there.

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much @phil1966

Think we'll have to invest in an ice cream maker now! And, you've just inspired me to start compiling a folder of recipes from here :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bung 2/3 frozen berries and 1/3 double cream into a powerful blender.
Sweeten to taste, with sweetener of choice
Blend for 30 secs.

Has to be eaten immediately, but no one ever seems to object...

K

Kat100

I must make ice cream ...Sounds really nice .....thanks
Some one here once mentioned that Kelly's ice cream was a better option in the icecream section ...but I don't know ....
Think it was being compared to the franks diabetic icecream ...

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
One needs a treat occasionally, and I can't think of an easier desert than Affogato Amaretto, which can be managed without too much damage. Firstly, the ice cream. Essential Waitrose Soft Scoop Vanilla comes in at 8.5% sugar [God knows what else it contains in chemicals]. The other ingredients are espresso coffee, tiny amount of Amaretto liqueur and a few crumbed Amaretto biscuits. Yum-Yum!
In a similar vein, my chocolate treat is Lindt 90% Cocoa solids, at 7% sugars.

Reactions: lorraine95