lchf pregnancy

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the low carb high fat diet Ok for pregnancy? I am very carb sensitive and my DN doesnt understand this. Not sure what I should be eating.

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is the low carb high fat diet Ok for pregnancy? I am very carb sensitive and my DN doesnt understand this. Not sure what I should be eating.
I'm not sure if it's OK but I'm limiting myself to 60g a day plus whatever I need to treat hypos.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Studies suggest too low is bad:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-carbs-is-best.72409/

Copy and paste if that link doesn't work. Read the link from Jack. I have also read evidence that very low carb diets can cause brain problems.

IMO, don't go too low, and get your insulin sorted and see if you need other meds for support too.

Remember your insulin needs will increase drastically in pregnancy eg my basal tripled, and my carb ratio was much, much higher. I had 180g or so of carbs per day.

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lexa. I'm exactly the same as you and did low carb diet throughout my pregnancy (apart from when the occasional craving won). My diabetes team were against it but I told them I had to do it to control my BMs so they eventually accepted it. I maintained my hba1c about 5.0 and had a healthy baby girl who weighed 6lb12oz at 38 weeks. She didn't spend anytime in nicu or have any problems. If you are used to it stick with it, maybe keep an eye on ketones, especially if you get morning sicknesses. Hope it goes ok! Good luck! X

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of the LCHF doctors (Dr Jay Wortman, Dr Andreas Eenfeldt) have written about their exceptionally healthy children born after LCHF pregnancies and being raised on a real food, lower carb diet.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

If you are pregnant then you should be eating properly and getting enough nutrients and vitamins naturally for you and your baby.

Personally I wouldnt touch lchf if I were a pregnant mother to be, think of your baby and get proper professional advice from your anti natal and diabetic team not opinions off an internet forum, and that includes mine.

Put your unborn child first

Reactions: 2 people

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 20 weeks pregnant, and had my anomaly scan this morning, I had a real fight on my hands with my DN about lchf, so I increased my carbs from 50g a day to around 150g. I put on weight and felt really bloated for a long time, so went to see a nutritionist privately at about 12 weeks. She said do what felt right- so I lowered it back to about 80-100g a day, and felt so much better, and quite frankly, lied to anyone in the hospital who asked.

Our scan today confirmed we have a very healthy baby, in perfect proportions at the moment, and I will continue to eat this way.

Eat what your body tell you to, not what the out dated NHS thinks you should have!
x

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. Midwife said speak to the diabetic team and take vitamins. Have an appointment with them next week. Just really dont trust the NHS advise :( but scared im not eating properly for the child. *sigh*