LCHF success stories

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Hi guys

Can any of you tell me how well you did on LCHF diet ?

Steve

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost nearly 5st since May - I don't go mad on the fat.. More low carbs, enough fat to stop me feeling hungry.

Reactions: 4 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How much fat do you eat ? What sort of meals were you having. If I lost 5 stone I would be so happy I'd have my life back. Well done you

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost nearly 5st since May - I don't go mad on the fat.. More low carbs, enough fat to stop me feeling hungry.
Similar story for me too. I don't have butter or cream much but cheese has been great because I was always s cheese person.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There is not a lot on the food list I think it must be hard to make meals

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost 3 stones and reversed my type 2 to non diabetic levels.

Prince Charles eats well, I believe he has salmon and eggs for breakfast. Negligible carbs. Nothing boring about his diet or not eating processed foods.

Reactions: 2 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I hate fish and all the books I've bought are full of fish recipes. Can't seem to find any real info on how much to eat And what etc

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find making meals pretty easy tbh now I've got my head round it all. Omelettes or scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast, salads or soups for lunch and stews , curries etc at night. Shepherds' pie with a cauli cheese mash topping is lovely and you could use the same topping for a low carb fish pie. Make courgette spaghetti to have with your pasta sauce or use it in long strips to make moussaka or lasagne.

Reactions: 5 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where did you get all these ideas from

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
For breakfast I have eggs and bacon, sometimes with mushrooms and tomatoes, or occasionally berries and Greek yoghurt. Several mugs of coffee with cream, usually decaff from lunch onwards. For lunch it's usually a cold collation of salami/olives/cheese/houmous/guacamole/mackerel pate/salad leaves (not all of those, pick and mix). Dinner is chicken, steak, burgers, fish with veg and/or salad and almost always berries and cream for dessert. Last night for a change I made this http://agirlcalledjack.com/2014/10/01/cauliflower-pasanda/

Since March I've lost 20 kg and my lipid profile has improved as well as my total cholesterol going down slightly (details in my sig below).

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get all these ideas from

I think the thing about any way of eating is we all have different preferences and need to include in what we like, and minimise or side step the foods we don't like. Since I got to my preferred weight, I have increased the amount of fat I eat, as part of my maintenance regime, but it's still not very much by comparison to some others I read.

I would suggest you compile a list of all the low carb foods you like, then a list of carby stuff you like, then try to find alternatives. As many folks have said, cauliflower or celeriac makes an acceptable substitute for mashed potato. It's not exactly like it, but many learn to prefer those tastes.

For the list above, I might be inclined to use something like Excel, so that I could move foods and alternatives around the page.

If you can cook, or are willing to learn, then Googling things like "low carb Cheesecake" or the like will throw up loads of potentially delicious alternatives. There's also several threads on this site which include what others eat, and recipes. you need to spend a little time getting your act together, then just set to it.

Many people find losing weight much simpler than they previously experienced, just by reducing carbs.

Good luck with it all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's masses of information in the low carb section of the forum.

And if you want a specific recipe, just google 'low carb xxxx recipe'.
You'll be swamped.

Regarding success stories... I've been getting progressively lower carb for 30 years. Now ketogenic for nearly a year. Am convinced it has slowed my decline from prediabetic to type 2 by decades. And I have every intention of using low carb to delay/prevent the development of D complications by even more decades.

'They say' that most type 2s are prescribed a series of escalating medications, culminating in insulin, usually within a decade.

I reckon I hit type 2 sometime between 3 and 7 years ago (going by symptoms) but am still not on any medication.

I'm happy with that, and believe that low carbing is the reason why.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hate fish and all the books I've bought are full of fish recipes. Can't seem to find any real info on how much to eat And what etc

If you don't like fish, fresh, (or frozen) tuna steaks, prawns, langoustine, are all an alternative to the classic fish.
Tuna steak particularly is far more meat like than fish like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost over 4 stones. My problem on low carb was stopping losing weight once I reached my target. It took a couple of months to get a balance.
My cholesterol and lipids all improved significantly.
My blood pressure stabilised at around 116/70
My blood sugars are normal apart from an odd blip

I haven't eaten anything sweet since January (apart from 2 sweeties on Christmas Day)
I haven't eaten any pasta or rice - not keen anyway
I still eat some bread and potatoes every day, but portion controlled as per my meter
I have only eaten berries as my fruit choice
I eat 3 meals a day. No snacks. I'm not hungry.
1 decaf coffee a day with double cream
Several cups of tea a day
Gallons of water
About 14 eggs a week, cooked any which way
Breakfast is full fat yogurt and berries with flaxseed
Lunches a tinned salmon or egg mayo salad with cheese and cherry toms, or poached eggs and cheese on 1 slice toast, or a fry up
Teas ... a Sunday roast, steak, chicken, lamb chops, grilled fish, liver and bacon, stews, chippy fish and peas (no chips), vegetables. The list is endless.

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Altho I'm a T1 for 30yrs I have always ate lower carbs.... Only once have I ate more carbs when advised to eat bread or toast or porridge for breakfast.. And that alone put weight on for me. Unfortunately I was not having enough fat, and advice from a member here got me to eat more of it and bar from the period of eating more carbs I have always been a lean size 8/10.

My input to this is that you don't have to have sumptious cooking to go lower carb. We do lovely bologneses and because its no pasta we have a big bowl of the bolgnese instead.
Soft boiled eggs are lovely by them selves as a snack. Cheese n lettuce wraps are lovely.. The wraps are a whole Cos lettuce leaf with cheese and cucumber in. Or a sweet long red pepper with philadelpia cheese is good, even better when stuck under the grill with lardons of bacon on.

Yes slightly longer than a ready meal but with a little cream in your coffees in stead of milk or berries with cream instead of toast or cereal in the mornings is so simple... We buy frozen berries from lidl, put in a ramekin dish each overnight to defost and its even quicker in the mornings to add cream than to butter toast!! Its also quicker to do a Sunday lunch filling your plate up with meat and veg than doing roasties too.

My success as a T1 long term low carber (and now more fat) is the fact that I haven't got any complications at all. My levels have never really gone too high....i've suffered from low levels more than anything else....i put my lack of complications down to having minimal carbs that makes levels go up and creates swings. The more evenly balanced you can keep your levels the better for any diabetic whether T1 or T2....

Reactions: 6 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turvell can I suggest you read the thread " what have you eaten today" for some great meal ideas

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
There is not a lot on the food list I think it must be hard to make meals
4 stone 2 to go.
Brekkie: high meat content sausage and 2 poached eggs. Sometimes bacon. Sometimes fried bacon mixed with scrambled eggs made with cream.
Lunch: leftovers or think tapas
Snack: peanuts/cheese
Dinner: see Scandis recipes
Tonight dinner was chilli with lashings of soured cream, grated cheese and guacamole. And a glass of red.