1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LCHF

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by kimkennedy89, Jan 3, 2015.

1. kimkennedy89

kimkennedy89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a T1 of 7 years, planning to try a low carb eating plan, have seen a few threads where people have said their BG levels have steadied out and they've also felt healthier without being hungry!

I've read up a bit online about the Atkins diet and also Dr bersteins method, has anyone any other pointers that may help me?

I've never carb counted before and I'm on a set dose of insulin at meal times just now, I know I'll need to adjust my doses as I go, it'll pretty much be a trial and error basis as my DSN is fairly unsupportive in any aspect of my diabetes.

Thank you :)

2. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hello. I've cut out bread, pasta, rice, root crops including spuds and most fruit. As well as cakes, sweets, puddings and biscuits of course. I'm aiming to follow the Low Carb Full Fat principle. I'm not overweight, or on any meds. My BG levels are stable, although I'd like them to be below the 7 mark more often. I feel very well and exercise freely.
    Browse the forum threads like "what have you eaten today" to see what other people do, although bear in mind some are trying to lose weight as well, whereas I'm trying to maintain mine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi Kim, there are a few of us T1s who LCHF. I've found the need to reduce both basal and bolus amounts since starting. I would suggest that you try to learn about carb counting as it will help you with bolus reductions, but you'll also need to undertake other activities like basal testing as your diet changes. Take it slow, reducing your carb amount in small amounts and it will be easier.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kimkennedy89

Thank you both :) Do you both find benefits in doing a low carb diet?

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Register with the following, it's an on-line version of the DAFNE course which by all accounts is very good:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

If your on fixed insulin doses you will need to reduce your dose if you go lower carb, so do be careful and monitor your bg levels carefully.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DeejayR

Speaking for myself, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. One of the main benefits of a low carb diet when on insulin is to avoid any weight gain and reduce BS swings and hence reduce hypo risk. Yes, a DAFNE course should be a good way to understand food with insulin. It's sad your DSN isn't very supportive; mine has been great. It's fairly normal to start Basal/Bolus insulin users off with a carb-counting ratio of 1 unit bolus to 10gm carbs and make fine adjustments from there. You must use the meter to guide you and avoid hypos. See how that fits with your current fixed dose and the typical meal carbs you have; it should give you some idea what your current ratio is. Do discuss with the DSN if you have any queries/concerns.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kimkennedy89

Thanks all for the pointers :) I really appreciate it.

When on a low carb eating plan, what do you use to treat a hypo? I think I over compensate, just need to stop panicking

9. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When you are hypo have your favourite hypo rescue substance. It has to be something quick acting like the usual glucose in tablet, gel or liquid form

• Like Like x 2
  10. kimkennedy89

I normally use dextrose tabs or glucagel but I think I'll need to review how I treat a hypo as I feel that I over compensate because I've became unconscious from a hypo before, I panic if I'm low and on my own

11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What some of us have found with lchf is that hypos are easier to manage as our brains have become more used to functioning with fats, and we therefore are still able to think clearly at lower levels.

• Like Like x 2
  12. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You treat the hypo in the same way as you would eating any other diet, so take fast acting glucose such as coke, lucozade or glucotabs. Careful monitoring post-hypo will determine how much glucose you need to bring your bg levels back to normal, we have all over compensated at some point.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kimkennedy89

Do any of you on a low carb diet take any vitamins or supplements?

14. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Kim,
    Have a read of the following:
    www.dietdoctor.com
    This is what I follow and I have improved bs - now in the non diabetic range from teens.
    I have lost 4 stone in weight.
    My skin is less dry.
    My good cholestrol has improved and my trigs are 0.51
    Feel much better too.
    Bp down and am on minimum meds for bp and bs.
    What can I say?:D:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. kimkennedy89

Fingers crossed I get similar results :) it's scary taking on something new when you're so set in your insulin regime but I'm looking forward to it

16. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I don't. I try to get all my essentials from the food I eat. I do struggle a bit with fibre so sprinkle flaxseeds on my yogurts.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DeejayR

No. I eat "rainbow" veg and salads -- I include everything I can lay my hands on that hasn't spiked me so far and hope all the goodies are in there somewhere. Possibility of overdose of course but I reckon my body knows I'm trying so it'll sort it all out.
    *edit* except I put milled chia seeds in with my whole-grain oats every other morning in the hope of balancing the sugar in the grains. Seems to work.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yup, I'm currently on vit d3, vit b12, magnesium glycinate, potassium, zinc & vit c, omega 3 oil (krill), and considering alpha-lipoic acid and kelp.

• Like Like x 4
    #18 Brunneria, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  19. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope! Don't need to. Starchy carbs contain no essential nutrients!

• Like Like x 4
  20. kimkennedy89

Yes I know that, it's just a lot of people doing low carb seem to also avoid fruit to keep BG levels stable. Hence why I asked about vitamins :)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook