chrisdoh1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything velvet, mushrooms.
Hi,

my legs feel really heavy and my calves feel like they are going to cramp, especially at night. Even after walking my dog I feel like my legs have run a marathon, I am on metformin 850mg x2 daily, I don't know if its the medication or the diabetes.

iHs

I started to experience lower leg cramp during the night earlier this year and at first I thought it was just one of those things but when it started to happen more often I wondered whether it was caused by the low dose statin that I was taking so stopped it but the cramp still happened. I mentioned it to my consultant as I was a bit worried that something was wrong and had a vitamin D test done which came back deficient and so had a vit D injection and touch wood ... very seldom get cramp now.

It does appear that vitamin D plays a big part in controlling cholesterol levels and more people should be tested for deficiency,

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to suffer really badly with cramp as well. I worked mine back to carbs so try not to have too many. I know from experience that if I go out for dinner and have dessert that I will get cramps so now I just dont bother having one. Vitamin D is supposed to help though as well so perhaps you should get this checked as well.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Drinking enough water can help.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had bad cramp through the night in the run up to being diagnosed T1. Seems it was something to do with high BG meaning dehydration. And dehydration correlates to cramps somehow. So drink plenty fluids!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I occasionally get calf cramps in the middle of the night , disturbs sleep and rather painful. I take magnesium supplements and seems to stop them. Don't over do the magnesium though or you'll be spending a lot of time on the toilet :)

NiccyW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I take magnesium tablets too which help a lot although I still get periods when my legs cramp in the night. Seems to go in waves with it happening for a few days and then nothing for a month. My GP said to carry on taking magnesium and to take a low dose asprin at night (instead of morning). This also helped (a bit!) I developed type 2 at 28 although I was not overweight and have been on insulin for years.