1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Leg cramps

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Claire2332, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Claire2332

Claire2332 · Active Member

Does any one else suffer with really painful leg cramps in the night

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Fiona I

Fiona I · Well-Known Member

I do leg and feet and toes.
    Type 2 on metformin :?:

3. chrisdoh1983

chrisdoh1983 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi,

my legs feel really heavy and my calves feel like they are going to cramp, especially at night. Even after walking my dog I feel like my legs have run a marathon, I am on metformin 850mg x2 daily, I don't know if its the medication or the diabetes.

4. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

I started to experience lower leg cramp during the night earlier this year and at first I thought it was just one of those things but when it started to happen more often I wondered whether it was caused by the low dose statin that I was taking so stopped it but the cramp still happened. I mentioned it to my consultant as I was a bit worried that something was wrong and had a vitamin D test done which came back deficient and so had a vit D injection and touch wood ... very seldom get cramp now.

It does appear that vitamin D plays a big part in controlling cholesterol levels and more people should be tested for deficiency,

5. googlegoss

googlegoss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to suffer really badly with cramp as well. I worked mine back to carbs so try not to have too many. I know from experience that if I go out for dinner and have dessert that I will get cramps so now I just dont bother having one. Vitamin D is supposed to help though as well so perhaps you should get this checked as well.

6. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Drinking enough water can help.

7. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had bad cramp through the night in the run up to being diagnosed T1. Seems it was something to do with high BG meaning dehydration. And dehydration correlates to cramps somehow. So drink plenty fluids!

8. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I occasionally get calf cramps in the middle of the night , disturbs sleep and rather painful. I take magnesium supplements and seems to stop them. Don't over do the magnesium though or you'll be spending a lot of time on the toilet :)

9. NICCYWHIT

NICCYWHIT Type 2 · Member

I take magnesium tablets too which help a lot although I still get periods when my legs cramp in the night. Seems to go in waves with it happening for a few days and then nothing for a month. My GP said to carry on taking magnesium and to take a low dose asprin at night (instead of morning). This also helped (a bit!) I developed type 2 at 28 although I was not overweight and have been on insulin for years.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook