Leg Pain in Knee?

Fire Hawk

Hi folks recently when my blood sugars have been running high (15+) I start to get pretty bad aches behind my knees. This is really worrying me because I am Type 1 and I'm only 18 so I'm praying that this really isn't going to be something that will affect me long term. My HbA1c is 8.2 so my sugars are fairly well controlled and I'm not overweight by any means. Could anyone give me any insight into this or perhaps from someone who has experienced the same or something similar? And of course ill make a Doctors appointment in the morning just to be sure.

Thanks All,
Ross

johnt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ross

I have exactly the same issue. Did you find any answers?

Cheers
John

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome, @johnt1.
You have posted in a very old, dormant, thread. You could start a new thread of your own, and, hopefully get replies with help and advice from members with experience of the problem.
Best wishes
Pipp

Reactions: Melody123

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks recently when my blood sugars have been running high (15+) I start to get pretty bad aches behind my knees. This is really worrying me because I am Type 1 and I'm only 18 so I'm praying that this really isn't going to be something that will affect me long term. My HbA1c is 8.2 so my sugars are fairly well controlled and I'm not overweight by any means. Could anyone give me any insight into this or perhaps from someone who has experienced the same or something similar? And of course ill make a Doctors appointment in the morning just to be sure.

Thanks All,
Ross

Interesting that 8.2 was decribed in the original thread as being "fairly well controlled" - I would have said exactly the same thing 10 years ago.

However in the last several years (particularly since the sensors became widely used) I am sure the diabeteic nurse (and/or doctor) would be flagging an 8.2 HbAlc as high.

As for the pain behind the knee thing. I personally have never ever felt that, even though I have had A LOT of highs in the past. I have however felt a "heavy legged" feeling when running high (including the calves).

johnt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I would agree. If I have a lot of highs then my HbA1c gets up to 7.
For example, last week on holiday I was often waking at 3am with highs of 14/16 which felt like a battle, and associated with that I would have heavy legs (mainly upper calves) for the mornings until it all came back under control. Every so often it worries me but then after a few days of good control it is a distant memory

Reactions: Melody123

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually the way that the NHS is doing it now anything below 11 is fine with them on the sensor and even before I had the sensor about 22 years ago I had to have a full knee replacement because I had damaged my knee a few times doing various things at work and that done my knee and when I had the replacement done I got the same pain in the other leg and that I can't say why because my sugars were fine and doing okay so that I must have twisted it and done the ligament in so now I have to wait a few years and that will be replaced as well and my sugars now are all over the place high one day and low the next day and night and that's where the weather play's it's role try that as well