Lemon juice?

Doczoc

Is lemon juice ok for low carbing? I like to use it as salad dressing or to marinade chicken etc...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
There's approx.3.2 carbs per lemon,so it depends how much you use,just calculate it into total amount for meal.

caitycakes1

I tend to use lime juice. It's got 0.8g cho per 100ml so it's fine. I would imagine lemon juice is pretty much the same. I buy it by the bottle, rather than use fresh limes, so if you have a bottle just check on the label.

Caitycakes x

Doczoc

sugarless sue said:
There's approx.3.2 carbs per lemon,so it depends how much you use,just calculate it into total amount for meal.

Is that in the whole lemon or just the juice of the lemon?

Doczoc

caitycakes1 said:
I tend to use lime juice. It's got 0.8g cho per 100ml so it's fine. I would imagine lemon juice is pretty much the same. I buy it by the bottle, rather than use fresh limes, so if you have a bottle just check on the label.

Caitycakes x

I tend to use fresh, my only experience of bottled is Jif lemon, which just isn't the same. I'll look out for lime though. Thanks X

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I like lemon juice too, with olive oil! Balsamic vinegar is supposed to have carbs too, but it doesn't say on my bottle.

caitycakes1

Hi hana, I love balsamic vinegar too but its got 3.2 g cho per tbsp :cry: . I still use it but very sparingly. It's amazing where those bloomin carbs hide isn't it?

Caitycakes x

C

catherinecherub

If you do low GI it is recommended as is vinegar. They help to lower blood sugar.

Doczoc

catherinecherub said:
If you do low GI it is recommended as is vinegar. They help to lower blood sugar.

That's what I read but then fruit is on the Bernstein avoid list, not that I'm following that, hence the confusion.

C

catherinecherub

Low carb diets and low G.I. diets have a different approach. The carb content of a peeled lemon is 5.4 carbs.
Low G.I. restricts carbs but not as tightly as low carb.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Catherine.

Doczoc

catherinecherub said:
Low carb diets and low G.I. diets have a different approach. The carb content of a peeled lemon is 5.4 carbs.
Low G.I. restricts carbs but not as tightly as low carb.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Catherine.

Thanks, I feel low GI is more apt for me at the moment but I'll keep monitoring and adjusting as accordingly. I've been diagnosed less than a week so it's all a bit much to take in.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
re balsamic vinegar:

Read the label . Real balsamic vinegar is fairly expensive, it contains grape must and red wine and is aged in barrels for some years.
cheaper, younger versions often have caramel added.
I assume that the latter are higher in carbs.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
bottled lime juice is WAY nicer than bottled lemon juice - for some reason I cannot fathom

I use either white wine vinegar or lime juice on my salads (or a massive bloooob or sour cream and shive dip)

;)

caitycakes1

I also prefer lime juice for making egg mayonaise. A good dash of lime juice to the mayo brings out the flavour of the eggs to perfection.

Caitycakes x

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - lime mayo - now that sounds **** FINE!

can I come for lunch?

hehehehe

Jem

Dislikes
hmmmmmmm ... and having recently experimented with BAKED BUTTER NUT SQUASH as an alternative to baked potato *sniff* I think we may have found ourselves and ideal topping ... hmmmmmmmmmm - butternut squash topped with butter and limey egg mayo *dribble*

:) cheeeers!

xoxoxoxox