Less insulin on pump?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I've had my pump funding approved and I'm off to choose which pump I want this afternoon :)

What I would like to know is will I be on less insulin when I start on it because I won't have basal anymore? I'm currently taking 74u of basal a day.
I'm thinking that it is because of this that I've put weight on. I don't eat any differently but since my dose has been this high I've put a stone on.
Will going on the pump reduce the amount of insulin I take and make it a little easier to lose the extra weight?

Thanks.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just gotten hooked up to mine this morning!

What they do is look at your TDD and then reduce by 25%. Then half of what is left will be used as a starting point for your basal rates.

For me, my total basal has actually increased but my bolus ratio has changed from 1:12 to 1:36. This will most likely change, but it just shows how vastly different the pump is!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool thanks!
I was wondering how it all worked.
Once I'm set up and used to it I'll start changing my diet. Start as I mean to go on :)

Indiana x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats on being hooked up too!

Indiana x

iHs

Often, the calculation that hospitals use for newbie pumpers is not always correct. For myself, the total basal amount was more or less ok but the carb ratio was way out, so I went back to using the same carb ratio that I used on MDI and then bg started to behave a bit better.

Be prepared for a lot of bg testing and some lost sleep hours and lots of trial and error and frustration.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often, the calculation that hospitals use for newbie pumpers is not always correct. For myself, the total basal amount was more or less ok but the carb ratio was way out, so I went back to using the same carb ratio that I used on MDI and then bg started to behave a bit better.

Be prepared for a lot of bg testing and some lost sleep hours and lots of trial and error and frustration.

I certainly have my doubts about the carb ratio, but as always I am willing to give their way a go at first and take it from there!

iHs

Have a feeling youve got the Vibe? If so, look in the advanced menu in set up and keep going through the advanced option screens until you get to no 4 screen and then turn the contrast up to 10. You will then be able to use the menu in bright daylight by holding the pump at an angle level with the top of yr legs and arching your back slightly forwards as that will form a shade if you turn yr back to the sun.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've actually got the Medtronic Veo!

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I got my pump my basal went from 62units of Levemir to 30 units on the pump. I felt so much better knowing that I wasn't using as much insulin. Now, my basal rate is down to 21 units over 24 hour period and my bolus is very low too due to a low carb eating plan. My daily total insulin is averaging at about 27units per day!

Good luck with getting your pump. I love mine. I am using the Medtronic Minimed, and it's pink! :joyful:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I got my pump my basal went from 62units of Levemir to 30 units on the pump. I felt so much better knowing that I wasn't using as much insulin. Now, my basal rate is down to 21 units over 24 hour period and my bolus is very low too due to a low carb eating plan. My daily total insulin is averaging at about 27units per day!

Good luck with getting your pump. I love mine. I am using the Medtronic Minimed, and it's pink! :joyful:

Pink!!!!! They didn't offer me pink so I got purple

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies guys :)

I'm really looking forward to it!

Indiana x

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pink!!!!! They didn't offer me pink so I got purple

congrats on geting started on your pump. I'm still waiting til October.

How are you doing with getting offshore or back on plant again?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
congrats on geting started on your pump. I'm still waiting til October.

How are you doing with getting offshore or back on plant again?

If you're anything like me the time will drag until then.

So turns out there is an industry rule stating I can't be on site with a pump. At all. No negotiation! It's not an intrinsically safe device.

So I'm desk bound for now and according to occ health I've "ruined" my career by taking care of my health! Still debating my next move tbh. Unsure if I stay where I am or find a new company where site time isn't a requirement!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're anything like me the time will drag until then.

So turns out there is an industry rule stating I can't be on site with a pump. At all. No negotiation! It's not an intrinsically safe device.

So I'm desk bound for now and according to occ health I've "ruined" my career by taking care of my health! Still debating my next move tbh. Unsure if I stay where I am or find a new company where site time isn't a requirement!

well that's going to get interesting considering the main industry I work in as well.

Considering the places I'm going to at the moment, SVT, St Fergus, the new Shetland Gas plant, theddlethorpe, CATS etc, this could be a right PITA. I've been on those with my non-IS test meter with no issues, just carry a gas detector.

If you look at what IS actually means, very few devices meet that requirement, but an IPX8 rated device by definition meets several Ex classifications suitable for zone 2, and lets be realistic, if it's passed fit to be worn next to the skin as a medical device it's not going to be throwing off sparks or getting hot enough to ignite gases.

What's your discipline again - Mechanical?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well that's going to get interesting considering the main industry I work in as well.

Considering the places I'm going to at the moment, SVT, St Fergus, the new Shetland Gas plant, theddlethorpe, CATS etc, this could be a right PITA. I've been on those with my non-IS test meter with no issues, just carry a gas detector.

If you look at what IS actually means, very few devices meet that requirement, but an IPX8 rated device by definition meets several Ex classifications suitable for zone 2, and lets be realistic, if it's passed fit to be worn next to the skin as a medical device it's not going to be throwing off sparks or getting hot enough to ignite gases.

What's your discipline again - Mechanical?

Yeah mechanical. Current plan is to make a move Into rotating equipment as I can do most work from vendors and hence it's hydrocarbon free. It's not ideal, but it's all I'm being offered if I'm to stay with the same company.

I originally thought I'd be allowed with a gas detector but apparently that's a no go. I don't understand why though since cameras are allowed. And things like hearing aids! I've been led to believe it's an industry rule, but it could be BP specific. In which case SVT and CATS could pose an issue for you!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can I now ask a daft question then.... Why is it that we need less insulin on a pump? Is it because it is drip fed so our bodies use it more effectively?

I have never had an explanation of what it is about a pump that makes us need less insulin and it does intrigue me, or is it that injections we had to guestimate more for a full 24hr basal to cover highs and lows etc...

Is there information anywhere that gives an explanation of why we use less?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Can I now ask a daft question then.... Why is it that we need less insulin on a pump? Is it because it is drip fed so our bodies use it more effectively?

I have never had an explanation of what it is about a pump that makes us need less insulin and it does intrigue me, or is it that injections we had to guestimate more for a full 24hr basal to cover highs and lows etc...

Is there information anywhere that gives an explanation of why we use less?

I've often wondered this too ! Good question. My guess would be that taking insulin via MDI, we are dosing for much lower time frames which possibly reduces potency over many hours ? No clue, total guess. Hopefully someone clever will be along soon :)

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've often wondered this too ! Good question. My guess would be that taking insulin via MDI, we are dosing for much lower time frames which possibly reduces potency over many hours ? No clue, total guess. Hopefully someone clever will be along soon :)

In my pump session I was told that the insulin pump was more efficient in dispensing the insulin. Not quite sure of the numbers but I think it was something like 95% efficiency with the pump compared to 50% with the pens. I guess the logic is that once the cannula is inserted the insulin won't escape (unless there's a problem).

Reactions: 5 people