Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mongoose39uk said:
Ceebee2 said:
The BBC again stating type 2's are fat & lazy & brought it down on themselves
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24593744

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

No it says linked to. OK it could be a little more accurate and say that in most cases it appears to be but really there is no point getting upset about it.

actually there is as it's written in a manner that people reading it will forever associate T2 diabetics with being fat, lazy porkers who inflicted on themselves and are costing the NHS a packet...

There are two kinds of diabetes. Type 2 accounts for 90% of cases - and 10% of NHS spending - and is linked to lifestyle, obesity and age.

Type 1 diabetes has no link to lifestyle choices

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
No its not that's just over sensitive woe is me.

Most people won't even notice it and unless they are directly affected by diabetes won't even care

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I can deny it if you want and say I didn't drink too much, eat too much rubbish (oh and smoke too much). Use my other problems as an excuse not to do much exercise and go from 8st 2lb to 16 stone..............

I even denied it to myself in the past

equipoise

wouldn't want you to deny it -- I respect you for saying it. But there are T2s who are slim; and there are non-diabetics who are obese. Genetic predisposition is the unmentioned bit in the report.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Nowt there that I can deny.

My dad was type 2 as were other members of the family. This put me at more risk. Yes there are slim diabetics and there are lots of causes. The article could have been better written but its not kicking type 2's unless your over-sensitive in my opinion. really you had to be looking for it to see it.

Hey I know lets do a BBC kicking session and post the correct (whatever that is) information on their facebook and twitter feeds every time they get it wrong. Use the comments section to beat them with a stick.

We could, or we can do the usual apathetic thing and sit and complain :D

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally really like to see a artical on the struggles of Type 1 children - just remember how hard you find diabetes and then think how a young child feels. Especially one who is trying to juggle MDI and being a kid.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
It's a big struggle ! This is the first Halloween we get to celebrate with a no sweets trick or treat , may seem petty but its a big thing in a childs eyes.my type 1 daughter is 9!! Injects a least 4 times a day into her skinny bruised arms and sobs and came home crying from school yesterday as a little boy told her she got diabetes because she's greedy and eats to many sweets ??!! I'm a dental nurse ,sweets are very special occasions in my house. Comments do hurt but it manly because people are not educated in this illness just as I wasn't till my daughter was diagnosed.no one knows the every day struggle till you see it with your own eyes ,type 1 and 2 are both the same awful disease that deserve the same respect that it takes over people lives and effects your every waking moments thought.oh how I'd love to just rush out the house kids grabbing a piece of fruit and a slice of toast! Nope now it's checking bloods injecting a cranking child weighing out cereal measuring milk and making her eat it if she's full because she's injected for that amount of carbs now and cant change her mind or she will hypo in school .

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Engineer88 said:
Personally really like to see a artical on the struggles of Type 1 children - just remember how hard you find diabetes and then think how a young child feels. Especially one who is trying to juggle MDI and being a kid.

Your right instead of focusing on a minor point that was pretty of topic regarding the article.

This is about children who are going to be living with this for a very long time.

C

catherinecherub

The article is about Type 1 children missing out on a pump because of lack of funding. This should not be happening as they are meeting the criteria.

You may think the snippet about Type 2 is unfair but it is not the first time it has been mentioned and it wont be the last.

Here is what the NHS says about the causes of Type 2.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-t ... auses.aspx

The best revenge, if it upsets you, is to get your diabetes under control, live life to the full and lose weight if you need to IMHO.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mongoose39uk said:
Engineer88 said:

Your right instead of focusing on a minor point that was pretty of topic regarding the article.

This is about children who are going to be living with this for a very long time.

Totally agree here, and although there is other reasons for diabetes T2 the fact of the matter is the Main cause IS lifestyle choices, wether we like it or not, yes my T 2 is probably genetic, but it is still probably my fault I developed it, I knew all this but still carried on with my rubbish lifestyle, learnt my lesson too late.

For the main point of this article to be lost is really a shame

Shell1 said:
It's a big struggle ! This is the first Halloween we get to celebrate with a no sweets trick or treat , may seem petty but its a big thing in a childs eyes.my type 1 daughter is 9!! Injects a least 4 times a day into her skinny bruised arms and sobs and came home crying from school yesterday as a little boy told her she got diabetes because she's greedy and eats to many sweets ??!! I'm a dental nurse ,sweets are very special occasions in my house. Comments do hurt but it manly because people are not educated in this illness just as I wasn't till my daughter was diagnosed.no one knows the every day struggle till you see it with your own eyes ,type 1 and 2 are both the same awful disease that deserve the same respect that it takes over people lives and effects your every waking moments thought.oh how I'd love to just rush out the house kids grabbing a piece of fruit and a slice of toast! Nope now it's checking bloods injecting a cranking child weighing out cereal measuring milk and making her eat it if she's full because she's injected for that amount of carbs now and cant change her mind or she will hypo in school .

This is the kind of thing I think about when my pet lip comes out because I can't have something just cause I want it, I give big props to kids and their families coping everyday with this - you are all amazing!! :clap: :clap:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, the article is about children in Wales not getting the funding for a pump.

My granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 2 1/2 years old, it broke my heart. These children have to live with diabetes for possibly 70 /80 years :( I was at 31 when diagnosed, so I sailed through the teenage, young adult years.

RRB