Letter about Jazz meter

joelcam

Hi all,

I received a letter from my GP yesterday saying they are changing my meter and strips to a Jazz meter as they are cheaper. I'm not too bothered about this as I guess one meter is pretty much the same as the other, BUT I am concerned they are going to try to reduce my test strip allocation too, to save more money.

At present I test anywhere up to 10 times per day, so my prescription gives me enough to last a month. I go to the gym in the morning before work, so test before I set off, then test during my workout and then before I set off for work. I usually pop out for lunch, so test again the again before I drive back to work. I test aagin before I go home, then before my evening meal. I will then test again before I go out in the evening (sometimes to football so test before, during and after) then test before bed.

All of the above tests help me keep my sugar levels stable and (I hope) able to stay healthy and prolong my life, so if they try to limit my tests I am likely to go nuts - anyone been through this process and how did it work?

Thanks

JC

iHs

Hi

I've had talks with diabetes consultants and dsns and everyone is agreeable that bg testing is a must for all insulin dependant diabetics and that GPs should definately not be restricting. The basal/bolus regime that so many diabetics are using needs bg testing to be done at least 5 times per day plus a test everytime someone intends to drive a vehicle.

I would ask your GP for a written explanation as to why he/she is restricting the strips (look at Carbsrok msgs) and if such explanation cannot be produced,,, ask to be referred to see a diabetes consultant at hospital on the grounds of extreme anxiety caused by not knowing what bg levels are and how much insulin needing to be injected. If GP is not happy with this, then ask to be transferred to an insulin regime that will keep bg levels perfect all day long with very little bg testing needing to be done. The real answer to this is that there isn't such a regime... Even twice daily insulin regimes need bg testing to be done at least 3-4 times a day and of course more tests if driving.....

Hope you get somewhere as it is very worrying for diabetics who try their best to look after theirselves..

D

Deleted member 45091

Yea i had same thing was on an optimum exceed meter which i never had a problem with got called in for diabetic check up and they seemed more interest in the cost of the strips than my health. Ive had this issue i like to test around 7 times on average and more when doing different things. They issue me one box a week and i can only collect from the chemist every friday. Its so frustrating sometimes if iam having a rough up and down week i can sometimes run out. Iam actually not working at the min but just for the peace of mind a buy boxes here and there so i dont run out its a joke..Ive started geting mine from ebay which is a little better than £20 a box but iam on benefits and all this does is put me further behind with bills food etc. As for the Jazz Wavesense for me it was ****. The minute you touch the strip it starts if you didint have enough blood you get errors. Any change in temperative ie too hot or cold more errors more wasted test strips. I changed my meter twice and finally had enough having to run to the chemist every friday was annoying but having loads of errors i was running out all the time. i would tell them you dont want that machine, ive got a true result meter and it seems fine with only one battery, also the strips wait for enough blood sample before it starts to calculate. much better. Only mine opinion but even buying a meter and asking your doc to perscribe the strips could be an option, just more pressure and cost cutting, but for me personally the jazz wavesense was rubbish.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
JC, as your gp has yet to mention they are restricting your test strip allowance I wouldn't worry too much about it, iHs offers some excellent advice on what to do should they ever implement a restriction.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dr's have changed over to Jazz meters but I still use my trusty contour meter. Found other brands of meters to be to inaccurate.

victorhill

BLOOD STRIPS

just a point on all these grumbles not enough supplies

had the same problem

TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE LAPTOPS OR COMPUTER ..

DO REPORTS THIS MAY BE DONE ON A MONTH OR WEKKLY BASIS

THEN TAKE THEM TO DOCS OR NURSE .THIS WILL ENSURE THEM WHAT ,WHEN AND HOW YOU ARE DOING THEM

DONE MY TEST REPORT S HAVE USED 593 TEST 4 MONTHS ALSO YOU see what needs to be done increase /or decrease insulin or food good luck vic