Letter sent to PCTs from DH about test strips for T1

CambridgeLass

All PCTs should have been sent this letter: https://www.wp.dh.gov.uk/publications/f ... abetes.pdf.
This reminder stems from the recent All Party Parliamentary Group meeting with health minister Anna Soubry; so any T1s having problem with strip prescribing should refer their GP to this reminder. It's sad they didn't extend this to all Types as from what I've read rationing is more prominant with T2s.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's a great find CambridgeLass and I've saved it for future reference, this letter should be made a 'sticky' in the type 1 section of the forum.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow... At last..!!!

iHs

Unfortunately, although this is really good news for everyone who uses insulin, it still doesn't address the cost of the teststrips to the NHS or the budgets that GPs are obliged to keep within in order to prescribe them. A change to a different bg meter that uses teststrips that are cheaper than other competitors, will still happen over time...........

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So what difference does it really make if we have to change meters and strips due to costs?

Wont that force the unscruplous, overcharging, horrible huge companies to lower their prices?

None of the machines are that sccurate anyway

I wouldnt have any problem changing meter or strips if it was for rhe good......ie myself or others could get more so to be better controlled.

Blood strips and machines and companies remind me of banks and libhor fixing.....hugely inflated prices because they can get away with it...

iHs

donnellysdogs said:
So what difference does it really make if we have to change meters and strips due to costs?

Wont that force the unscruplous, overcharging, horrible huge companies to lower their prices?

None of the machines are that sccurate anyway

I wouldnt have any problem changing meter or strips if it was for rhe good......ie myself or others could get more so to be better controlled.

Blood strips and machines and companies remind me of banks and libhor fixing.....hugely inflated prices because they can get away with it...

From a personal point of view, I'm not bothered what bg meter I use as long I am able to use one and get sufficient teststrips but I know some wont like it especially if they have gone out and bought something super duper on the understanding that the NHS will prescribe the strips and then find out that they have come unstuck as the strips are too expensive..........