Letting your teacher know you're diabetic?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all

Ive been diabetic for about 8 ish years, since I was 10.. in primary and secondary school most people knew I have diabetes.

Now that I am at college, some of my classmates are aware, and only one teacher knows.. and this wasnt a problem, as i tend to run high rather than low, but because its not good to be high, the other day I did slightly more insulin to take me down which led to a hypo in my theory lesson, and I felt really uncomfortable eating hypo treatment/testing as it was the teacher who doesnt know.

I didnt want to just sit there eating and for it to cause a huge fuss in front of everyone, because its embarrassing and im quite shy talking about diabetes anyway.. so what can i do?

How can i randomly tell my teacher about my diabetes in the least awkward way if you get me?

Thanks x

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
You could ask for a quiet, private word with said teacher, or have you thought about writing a letter to that teacher? that might be another way.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A private chat is a good idea. Its better to have it out there so you don't habe to worry about it if you have hypo. Teacher will no doubt be glad to be informed and glad not to be causing you additional anxiety.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the teacher that does know approachable. You could explain your problem to them about the other teacher and maybe they could help you out.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the answers :) I was thinking about writing a letter, but I wasn't sure what to write in it.. Im really bad at telling people I'm diabetic, even writing a letter sounds daunting

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sure that all colleges have Student wellfare staff. I would go tothem for help and support in this.
Hana
Grandmother and retired teacher

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jelaca,
Do you have a forum teacher that knows? Could they then explain the situation to the other teachers that you have? When I was at college I told my forum teacher and she told all the other tutors. This meant I just had to stick my hand up or walk over to the teacher and say I was low and that I was going to eat something. When I was in the lab just meant standing outside the class to eat something then comming back in. I'm sure all your tutors will be fine with it and I'm sure they have other students and teachers with diabetes as well.

BobCornelius

Hi Jelaca,

As Hana said, student welfare staff would be the place to start, and if you are still unsure about writing a letter, send an email! Doesn't need to say anything much, just a " Hi, thought you should know I'm diabetic! This may mean I sometimes have to test or eat during classes."

:)

Bob

davealex49

I was a teacher for over thirty years. It is important that all your teachers know about your diabetes. My experience is that staff know and share information in a professional manner so they can support students in their care. I would advise that you ask a teacher you trust to share the information with the others

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BobCornelius said:
Hi Jelaca,

As Hana said, student welfare staff would be the place to start, and if you are still unsure about writing a letter, send an email! Doesn't need to say anything much, just a " Hi, thought you should know I'm diabetic! This may mean I sometimes have to test or eat during classes."

:)

Bob

Thanks Bob :) I think I will send an email.. It's easy to do and very casual, so thank you!