Levemir pen gets 'stuck'

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does this happen anyone else? It only ever happens my Levemir not my novorapid! I went to take a few units before bed and even though I can twist the pen to dial up the units when I'm injecting it just gets stuck and stops working!! Very frustrating because I end up having to get a new Levemir pen. Am I doing something wrong? Weird how it never happens with my fast acting insulin
c06b6855179d5f8073319d85c8552bb7.jpg

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I never had that when i was on Levimer. Though I was using the Echo cartridge pen which can deliver 1/2 units and also records amount and time since injection. I found these to work for about 2 yrs with no trouble. These pens use a screwthread system and yours appear to have a nylon thread. Just wondering if when the insulin is fully put in (fully depressed) you might be exerting too much pressure.
If i recall correctly the Echo pen has a metal screw thread
Think you should report this though to your pharmacy and they will advise

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @wannabemammy
it might be worth giving your DSN ( Diabetic Nurse ) a ring tomorrow and telling her of this issue.
she will most likely have come across before -- and either way can advise.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This used to happen to me when I was on levemir. If I were you I would try a test shot before your injections so that you know it's working before you stick it in.
Then if it gets stuck whilst in the site I'd pull it back a little bit and try again or try somewhere else and it would often work then.
I did hate levemir though and was really pleased when I got rid of it!

Reactions: 2 people

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm starting my Dafne course tomorrow which is held in my clinic so I'll say it to them then. I can use another pen in the mean time. @claire1991 I'll try that next time! If it's happened other people I know it's not me!!

Reactions: 4 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm starting my Dafne course tomorrow which is held in my clinic so I'll say it to them then. I can use another pen in the mean time. @claire1991 I'll try that next time! If it's happened other people I know it's not me!!
Definitely not you!
It's very frustrating when it happens.

Good luck on the course x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wannabemammy

Though I don't use this particular pen. It's safe to say all pen mechanism principles are the same..
If the pen jams? Before writing off the actual pen. Carefully change the needle. The new needle could be blocked at the point where it screws into the rubber membrane on the insulin cartridge? This can happen if it gets a "ding" whilst being fitted..?

Next the rubber "bung" in the cartridge that travels up the cartridge that gets pushed by the ram..? This may have seized? Possibly due to dry insulin on the glass cartridge wall causing resistance or sticking? Or even a degedation of tha actual rubber bung..? (I am unfamiliar with the composition of Levemir.)

Perform an "air shoot" vertically (needle to the sky.) to remove trapped air bubbles & "prime" the needle..

By sheer coincidence. You can fire 20 units into the outer white opaque needle cap, which will fill the end level to where the cap starts to flute out. In short, this will tell you the pen is delivering the correct dosage & operating correctly..

If in any doubt? Change the pen.
Hope this helps..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It looks like you use the disposable pen; I use the Echo one with a replaceable cartridge. Occasionally I find the pen just stops whilst injecting and I put it down to underlying tissues simply blocking the insulin flow. I don't think it's the pen. I usually manage to force it through or pull the needle out just a bit to help relieve the block. BTW it's also nothing to do with the Levemir itself.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I used the Echo pen for a few years and it was very good. But i did find after about 2 years the pen did not perform as well in fact it did do what Diabelle said. plus my insulin did not always seem the correct amount going in. I got a new pen and it was ok then