Levemir vs Lantus

Bonnie

Hi
What are peoples views which ones better, I'm on Levemir but thinking of gping onto Lantus as my sugars are a bit messed up.

martinbuchan

I've been on lantus for 12 months since diagnosis. my diabetic nurses use both but say levemir is less weight inducing. they also use a twice daily reime of levemir for difficult cases, i have a patient whose HBA1C WAS 20% when i first met him (on 200 units insulin a day). he was chnged to twice daily 40 units levemir which transformed him . I might be changed onto levemir from lantus. but i want sitagliptin or byetta more.

Marty B

Clare

Hi there, I'm on Lantus but have never been on Levemir. I seem to manage with one dose a day without noticeable peaks and troughs but it does take a while to get the dose right. There is a lot of talk about it being weight-inducing, I think I did put a bit of weight on while i've been on Lantus, but it coincided with me finishing uni and no longer rowing for an hour a day, so that may have been the culprit! I also managed to start losing weight while on Lantus (but that went out the window when I got pregnant!). I'd be interested to try Levemir and see if it does make a difference but I'd be reluctant to have to split the dose.

Hope that helps.
Clare

PS, 20%?? I didn't know it went that high! Makes my high of 11.2% seem paltry!

sugar

I have been on both, and for me personally, the levimir works far better. My lantus seemed to "run out". I used to take it in the morning, and would wake up with high blood sugars quite often. I am now on split dose levimir (I am a diifficult case, and never had a 20% HbA1C, but di have a few 9s and 10s a while back. I am now running between 6 and 7, although this is result of a lot of effort, as well as the insulin switch. I would say, if whet you are using works, stick with it, and if it doesn't give the other one a try....you never know. God luck

Lady J

I just started on insulin 2 days ago. I'm on Lantus. If everyone thinks Levemir is so much better, why am I on it, I wonder? is it just trial and error?

LJ

sugar

Hi Lady J.

Levimir is better for me, but this is not the case for everyone. If Lantus works for you, stick with it. Horses for courses and all that!

scottiedog

I have just started on Lantus yesterday my HBA1 is high this is the one my gp reommended We shall see how it goes :)

Best Wishes
Sarah

martinbuchan

As i thought, I have been changed onto Levemir for 2 reasons

1. Less weight inducing
2. I use a lot of top ups after my main meal at night.

So instead on Lantus 64, I am starting on Levermir 20 morning and Levemir 40 in the evening.

This weeks HbA1c is 6.5%, but then I am only 40 with neuropathy and mild background retinopathy, and probably early charcot arthropathy in my left foot.

Otherwise, I was quite happy on Lantus.

Marty B

martinbuchan

Started levemir today. The actual weight gain differnce in one study I found was 4kg with Lantus and 3.7kg with levemir. Not that much really. But I am on a twice daily regime. Still want Sitagliptin.

Marty B

martinbuchan

Very pleased so far with Levemir. <6 all day at various times. On 22 Units morning and 46 units evening- still increasing evening dose gradually to settle morning fasting BG.

As I am off work with my foot I have been aggressive with Novorapid. Evening meal 22-28 units. Top up is BG+2 units 3 hours later. Using far less in top ups this week even tho I am far less active than usual.

The switch from Lantus to Levemir has been no problem. In fact the first few days my morning BGs were the lowest set ever (all <4.7). Then went 7-8 fora few days before settling ina new grove. A good example of Choas theory (predictabilty in a dynamical system)- pushing an oscillating system can decrease or increase a swing.

Anyway- pleased with the switchover.

Marty B