1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Libre 2 alarms every night

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Smiler99, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Smiler99

Smiler99 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had my second libre 2 sensor which was going off on blood sugar low when I was in 7s so I put my next one in after ringing Abbotts and waited for a replacement, which I replaced 4 days ago and its doing the same thing I am not getting any sleep from it I wouldn't mind in my glucose levels were lower but there always between 6s and 7s my health care workers don't seem bothered getting quite tired
    Has anyone else had this problem?

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If the sensor is recording ok when you are awake during the day, this sounds like a compression low.
    This occurs when you apply pressure to a sensor such as when you lie on it when asleep. It is not the fault of the sensor but the fault of physics and the only way around it is to place your next sensor on a part of your arm that you will not lie on.

This is a common issue (although Abbott ... and Dexcom and all CGM manufacturers do not advertise it).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I assume you have checked the settings for low-glucose alarms in LibreLink. The default is 3.9 mmol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smiler99

It's going off during the day time and when I'm sitting up in bed
    I sleep on my opposite arm and front sleeper
    It's very random compared to the other 2 I had

5. Smiler99

Yes I have finger pricked more in the last 3 day

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Ah, but have you checked your LibreLink Alarm settings?

7. Smiler99

Yes checked my alarms
    Yes I have thank you

8. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

This happened repeatedly to me when I first used the alarm system on Libre 2, so I now have the alarm turned off at night. Its no good me placing the sensor in a different position I don't think, as I toss and turn so much, there is probably no easy way to avoid the compression problem.
    I was really excited with the possibilities when I first heard about this alarm facility, but I find it's not so great because like you, it kept me awake, and was virtually always inaccurate.....and since it is really mostly night time that it would have been most useful, I now simply don't turn it on at all!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

Are you putting the sensor on and waiting at least 24hrs before activating and scanning? I find they are not accurate otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Smiler99

Maybe I move around more then I think but the new one I put in on Monday night is working fantastic no alarms.it's a shame that you can't have your alarms on

11. Hertfordshiremum

I have found the same, some sensors fantastic, some not so. Hopefully the Libre 3 will solve this. At least Abbott’s are very efficient with replacements.

12. Smiler99

That's very true
    Do you put yours in 24 hours before the other one runs out I have seen it on YouTube?

13. Hertfordshiremum

Yes I do exactly that, so for the last 24 hours I have one about to run out and another one on the other arm waiting to be started. Since I did this, Antje77 posted this, they have been very accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  14. annliggins

annliggins Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why use the libre if you dont want alarms ??? I dont get that

15. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My Libre 2 low alarms very rarely work, high ones a bit more but can't rely on them. Have found xdrip much better.
    I use the reader to scan Libre, and as I'm frequently awake in the night, have done a lot of checking Libre levels v finger prick tests while lying down, on the opposite arm to Libre placement, so no compression lows.
    Without a shadow of a doubt, the Libre frequently shows lower than finger prick tests while lying down. Trouble is, it's not always. According to the Libre I can be hypo for an hour or more sometimes, while finger prick tests are well above 4.0.

16. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

The first Libre did not have alarms anyway, Ann. It's still useful of course because using Libre means you do not have to depend on finger pricking all the time and can test whenever you want to. It has only been with the introduction of libre 2 that alarms have been a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Because it shows you what's happening over 24 hours instead of just the few glimpses you get with fingerpricks.
    I find the alarms somewhat useful, but I find the insight it provides you much more valuable!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mungobean

Mungobean Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find that the Libre varies as to how much below a finger prick it measures. According to my data, I have had 41 hypos in the last 90 days, most of these in the night - but I’m sure I would wake up if I was actually having a hypo. If I am awake and the Libre measures low, I confirm with a finger prick. I have the Libre 1, so I don’t get alarms, but I think I’d rather have the alarm, so I could check with a finger prick. I have found that if the sensor is measuring consistently low, if you let Abbot know, they will replace the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook