Libre 2

Pat108

Have been using the libre 2 for a few months now but today decided to take a finger stick because my A1C was 7 and my average glucose on libre was 137,so when I tested it was 208 on libre and finger stick was 288 that is 80 points different. I dont understand why it is so different. Any guesses?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you aware of the limitations of Libre (and CGMs) which can affect their accuracy?
- Is it a new sensor?
- Is your blood sugar changing fast?
- Is your blood sugar high or low?
- Were you dehydrated?

Given the limitations, it is always advisable to regularly check against finger pricks. I do this at least twice a day when my blood sugars are stable (first thing in the morning and last thing at night) and before correcting a high or low.
I have found some sensors to be pretty close, some require "calibration", some drift and a few need to be replaced by Abbott.

I hope this is not the first time in 2 months you have finger pricked.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been using the libre 2 for a few months now but today decided to take a finger stick because my A1C was 7 and my average glucose on libre was 137,so when I tested it was 208 on libre and finger stick was 288 that is 80 points different. I dont understand why it is so different. Any guesses?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Try scanning the sensor then waiting 20 minutes & take a meter test from the same side the sensor is placed.
Then find out what the discrepancies are?
I've found consistently the meter can "lag." (Blood flow at the point of drawing, or something.)
Ideally try this whilst the graph is relatively flat?

Let us know how you get on..

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Try scanning the sensor then waiting 20 minutes & take a meter test from the same side the sensor is placed.
Then find out what the discrepancies are?
I've found consistently the meter can "lag." (Blood flow at the point of drawing, or something.)
Ideally try this whilst the graph is relatively flat?

Let us know how you get on..