Libre and MRI

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having an emergency MRI scan and had only just put a sensor in 2 days ago. Got my call the next day to say my MRI is the day after which leaves 12 days of use lost from my sensor and given that it’s self funded I lost out big time in terms of money. Decided to ring Abbott to see what they could do and they agreed to send out a sensor just this once free of charge. Needless to say I’m very happy with the service provided but am a little annoyed about having to waste a perfectly good sensor. If you’re going to have an MRI try plan carefully so you’re not losing out too!

D

Deleted Account

Good tip.

By the way, if you have a pump, be prepared to remove it for the period of the MRI scan.
This could mean a need for a "manual basal dose" after the scan.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really? I was told by a radiographer that because the sensor doesn't use WiFi it's OK to leave in situ, still it worked out ok for you getting a new one . Hope the scans ok

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Good tip.

By the way, if you have a pump, be prepared to remove it for the period of the MRI scan.
This could mean a need for a "manual basal dose" after the scan.
I had an MRI scan in october 2016 and was allowed to wear my pump.

Just wondering if this is normal ( to be told to remove a pump )

D

Deleted Account

I had an MRI scan in october 2016 and was allowed to wear my pump.

Just wondering if this is normal ( to be told to remove a pump )
I was allowed to wear mine for a CAT scan but not MRI.
Although they didn't know much about insulin pumps so they may have been being extra cautious.

Do I remember correctly that you have an Omnipod? That may also be the reason why you were able to wear it for the scan??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I was allowed to wear mine for a CAT scan but not MRI.
Although they didn't know much about insulin pumps so they may have been being extra cautious.

Do I remember correctly that you have an Omnipod? That may also be the reason why you were able to wear it for the scan??
I do wear the omnipod - and I also wondered if that was why I was able to wear it.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
It's a metal and magnets thing.
I have a fairy big, thick wedding ring, during one hour and a half scan it vibrated incessantly, but staff were happy as it didn't move my hand. If any metal can be dislodged, inside or outside the body, it's usually a no no.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
People have been killed by flying metal when none approved items have been taken into MRI rooms!

Also, the magnets can stop electrical items from working, and unless the libre has been tested to PROVE it still works (and gives correct readings) after an MRI scan, they will advise not to risk it.