Libre disposal

EmmaW78

Hello everyone

Hope this is the right place to post this. I've had a quick scan on existing threads and can't see anything helpful.

I've recently started on the freestyle libre which I find amazing. Here's my daft question though...

How do you dispose of the bits? By bits I mean the used sensors and the applicator (which I guess contains a needle). The most obvious answer is a sharps bin but I live in Oxfordshire and we're only allowed the teeny tiny bins. There's not a hope of getting the applicator in there!

Can anyone advise?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I dispose of mine in the household rubbish. The sensor doesn't really contain a needle, more like a filament. I don't think anyone is going to stab themselves on that. If you're really worried, try snipping it off with some nail scissors.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks June_C. It's more the applicator I'm concerned about as I guess that must contain a needle.
Not seen the libre but isn't the needle contained in the applicator after insertion? If so then it's contained in it's own sharps container and can go in the rubbish ok.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the filament thing is pushed in by pressure, and doesn't need a needle... although I am curious enough that I may just have to disembowel one later, to check.

Worth reminding everyone to keep the packaging for the sensor, including box and stuff, until the sensor has died at the end of its 2 week life.

If anything goes wrong (and they have a fairly high failure rate) you will need to return it all to Abbott. They need the code numbers and so on.

So don't throw ANYTHING away until your 2 weeks of sensor use are up. :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've just tried to disembowel one (as @Brunneria said) and it's impossible. If there is a needle lurking about it's well hidden and out of the way. As @CarbsRok says, it's in its own sharps container.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @June_C

You have done my work for me :D
although I wonder if I can resist having a bit of an investigate...

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Got a large nutcracker to hand???? I think you might need one ;)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've just tried to disembowel one (as @Brunneria said) and it's impossible. If there is a needle lurking about it's well hidden and out of the way. As @CarbsRok says, it's in its own sharps container.

We have a secret vandal in our midst :eek::D
Glad you have sorted it out.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I realise that this is now quite an old thread but I'm resurrecting it out of general interest as I've been collecting used applicators and sensors on the kitchen windowsill for months now (and I sense the missus is not overly enthusiastic about the continued expansion of the collection.)

I started by looking at the FAQ's on the Abbott website.......

https://www.freestylelibre.com.au/page/faqs/

"16. How do you discard the disposable components, for example sensor pack and applicator?

This product should be disposed of in accordance with all applicable local regulations related to the disposal of electronic equipment, batteries, sharps, and materials potentially exposed to body fluids.

This means the used applicator and sensor pack should be disposed of in a Biohazard Sharps bin - Clinical waste referral is required from the district nurse or GP, but the majority of people with diabetes will already have the necessary arrangements in place."

So I contacted the people who collect my sharps, expecting them to know all about it but they've never heard of it before. Knowing how popular the Freestyle Libre is now, I found this surprising.

They started off telling me to put it all in my sharps bin. I told them that the applicator doesn't fit through the hole in the top and the sensor has electronic components and a button cell battery as a power source which potentially means it needs to comply with the W.E.E directive, (Waste Electrical Equipment). And then there's the added addition of the needle which pierces the skin.

They are scratching their heads at the moment. I am sending them pictures for a fuller explanation and they've promised to come back to me next week

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sibyl and Brunneria

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve had a similar time of wonder. It’s tempting to take it all apart to see how it works, and to see if it’s possible to manually separate the plastic, the needle, the cell, etc and put them all in the specific collection sites. Then cynicism rushes in and I wonder if any recycling centre wants to extract such small quantities of lithium, plastic et al. The local cgm hasn’t yet authorised many libre so not sure if they’d want to spend on new collection methods.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So I sent pictures of the Libre parts to my local waste collection people (same people who collect my sharps) to illustrate the different materials and electronic components. After a couple of discussions about biohazards and WEE, they came back to me telling me to put the sensor (and battery) in the sharps bin for incineration and the applicator in the normal domestic household waste.

Given the materials involved I was a bit surprised at the response, and I'm sure it's not 'best practice' but whatever!

upload_2018-2-21_13-46-21-png.25353
upload_2018-2-21_13-44-26-png.25351

Reactions: Brunneria

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I suspect that it’s a complex combination of materials that’d need more energy to be recycled than is eco-sensible.

Reactions: urbanracer

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had a similar time of wonder. It’s tempting to take it all apart

Be careful if you try! I got stuck into the applicator with a pair of pliers out of curiosity - was gently teasing it apart, then all of a sudden, the spring and needle (which you would have thought had fully "unsprung" when applying) went flying across the room - could have had my eye out!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
put the sensor (and battery) in the sharps bin for incineration and the applicator in the normal domestic household waste.
Why would you put the sensor in the sharps bin? It has no sharp parts.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful if you try! I got stuck into the applicator with a pair of pliers out of curiosity - was gently teasing it apart, then all of a sudden, the spring and needle (which you would have thought had fully "unsprung" when applying) went flying across the room - could have had my eye out!

@urbanracer would be OK, wearing that helmet. I gather he's our very own Stig.

Ahem. I'll get my coat.

Erk,........ My expired Libres go in the general refuse bin.

Reactions: urbanracer