Libre, noooo! How could you?! Oh, hi Dexcom!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been using the Freestyle Libre for almost a year now and I love it!

Over the course of the year my HbA1c has gone from an average of about 6.3% to 5.5% and I have dramatically reduced spikes and hypos through using it. It's not unusual for me to be 90%+ in my target range of 4.4-7.2 mmol/L and on days when I'm sick it's also been invaluable.

Sadly, about 3 months ago I noticed the sensor was a bit itchy, fast forward a few more weeks and it was more itchy and I started using SkinTac again which helped a little but the itchiness has returned gradually. Whenever I remove a sensor now the skin around the area in the middle (where there is no adhesive) is red, inflamed and a bit scaly :(

The sensor I'm wearing now is borderline unbearable, the only way I can keep the itchiness tolerable is to take a double dose of antihistamines.

Sooooo, I'm thinking I need to look to alternative CGM's. I've acquired a second-hand iPhone 5c and plan to use this with a Dexcom system. I am leaning towards a G5 but have a few queries...

1. Am I correct in thinking that my initial outlay will be just for a 4 pack of sensors and a transmitter which is about £400?

2. Has anyone managed to hack the G5 transmitter yet so that the 3 month life can be extended like the battery replacement hack for the G4 platinum transmitter?

3. How do I buy from Dexcom? Do all orders have to be made over the phone or is there an online shop once they've got you set up and registered? I'm assuming I don't need to involve any HCP's in getting registered with Dexcom?

4. Can you even buy a G4 platinum transmitter from Dexcom without a receiver as a new customer or do they insist on you buying a receiver (even though I'd be using it with xdrip if I were to go the G4 route?)

5. Anyone know any other info about the G4 platinum vs the G5 that might be relevant? For example I hear rumours that the sensors don't last as long with the G5 system...

Sorry for all the questions, it's going to be a big financial commitment and I don't want to end up with buyer's remorse!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I've been using the Freestyle Libre for almost a year now and I love it!

Over the course of the year my HbA1c has gone from an average of about 6.3% to 5.5% and I have dramatically reduced spikes and hypos through using it. It's not unusual for me to be 90%+ in my target range of 4.4-7.2 mmol/L and on days when I'm sick it's also been invaluable.

Sadly, about 3 months ago I noticed the sensor was a bit itchy, fast forward a few more weeks and it was more itchy and I started using SkinTac again which helped a little but the itchiness has returned gradually. Whenever I remove a sensor now the skin around the area in the middle (where there is no adhesive) is red, inflamed and a bit scaly :(

The sensor I'm wearing now is borderline unbearable, the only way I can keep the itchiness tolerable is to take a double dose of antihistamines.

Sooooo, I'm thinking I need to look to alternative CGM's. I've acquired a second-hand iPhone 5c and plan to use this with a Dexcom system. I am leaning towards a G5 but have a few queries...

1. Am I correct in thinking that my initial outlay will be just for a 4 pack of sensors and a transmitter which is about £400?

Yup.

2. Has anyone managed to hack the G5 transmitter yet so that the 3 month life can be extended like the battery replacement hack for the G4 platinum transmitter?

You can only do this by using xDrip+ on an Android phone, but it works very well in my experience. My last G5 sensor went from 27th September to 27th January, so basically 145 days. 30 more than the max 115 on the iphone app. Then the batteries died.

3. How do I buy from Dexcom? Do all orders have to be made over the phone or is there an online shop once they've got you set up and registered? I'm assuming I don't need to involve any HCP's in getting registered with Dexcom?

You have to call them up, and there's no HCP involvement. There is no online shop.

4. Can you even buy a G4 platinum transmitter from Dexcom without a receiver as a new customer or do they insist on you buying a receiver (even though I'd be using it with xdrip if I were to go the G4 route?)

I don't know, I've never tried. Technically, it doesn't work without a receiver (officially) so I'd expect not.

5. Anyone know any other info about the G4 platinum vs the G5 that might be relevant? For example I hear rumours that the sensors don't last as long with the G5 system...

My experience is that they don't. Data transformation and normalisation takes place in the transmitter on the G5, and I find this gets a bit poor at 16-18 days. On the G4, I used to get to 21-24 days regularly. I do find the G5 to be more accurate than the G4 though.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks!

That's very useful :)

I'm shocked that there isn't an e-shop, how vintage! I hate ringing people up too - I'm so awkward on the phone, that's why I'm on here all the time and not interacting with the real world o_O

@tim2000s when you say...

You can only do this by using xDrip+ on an Android phone, but it works very well in my experience. My last G5 sensor went from 27th September to 27th January, so basically 145 days. 30 more than the max 115 on the iphone app. Then the batteries died.

Is it an either/or situation? Can you, for example, use the Dexcom software for 115 days and them switch to xDrip to squeeze more life out of the transmitter or does it have to be xDrip all the way?

Also, to my endless joy, I discovered yesterday that the Dexcom G5 is now Android compatible and works with my LG G4. I can sell on the iPhone and put the money towards a Fossil watch Q and have some wrist blood sugar checking goodness - hurrah! No more scowling faces when I sneak my phone out of my labcoat pocket for a quick Libre scan :cool:

Thanks again!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is it an either/or situation? Can you, for example, use the Dexcom software for 115 days and them switch to xDrip to squeeze more life out of the transmitter or does it have to be xDrip all the way?
I ran it on the Dexcom app on iPhone until it was expired, then flipped over to xDrip on Android, so not an either or option!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent

Mr_Burns.png

On the down-side it turns out that whilst my LG G4 is compatible with Dexcom's app, Xdrip doesn't work with the LG G4...sigh. Hopefully they'll iron out the kinks soon!

EDIT: Oooh also, am I being dense in assuming that it's not necessary to build an xbridge for use with the G5 as the transmitter is Bluetooth and talks directly to the phone?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
EDIT: Oooh also, am I being dense in assuming that it's not necessary to build an xbridge for use with the G5 as the transmitter is Bluetooth and talks directly to the phone?
That's right - G5 speaks directly to the phone. YOu might try xDrip+ if you are using a G5 transmitter. The support in that is more up to date.

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had to give up the Libre for the same reason and I am now on day 13 of my first G5 sensor.

One difference over using the Libre that I had not considered is that the transmitter sends off a measurement every 5 minutes and if the phone is out of range, or otherwise misses it, that reading is lost.

I used the iPhone app for a couple of days, then moved over to xDrip, I much prefer xDrip, but find that my Android phone with Xdrip is far more sensitive to position relative to the transmitter than the iPhone was or I get missed readings.You can't run the two simultaneously.

If you have not already I suggest you join the facebook G5 xDrip group. On there is a spreadsheet of phones with xDrip Bluetooth setting of various phones and the LG G4 is listed, and the comment is :-

works well. drops signal once in awhile. I restart my phone to get it to come back, and 90% of the time, this fixes it. works near perfect with LG G watch. xDrip+ works much better than normal xdrip. some gaps, but only about ten min max.

There a number of users on there who have successfully changed transmitter batteries, but it will then only work with xDrip.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much :happy: all information and tips are very gratefully received!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can sell on the iPhone and put the money towards a Fossil watch Q

By coincidence, I was looking at a Fossil Q watch yesterday after recently getting xDrip+ up and running on an LG K8, collecting from a blucon transmitter on top of libre. I know nothing about smartwatches and shop staff were a bit vague. Can I ask, did you manage to get xDrip+ and Fossil Q working together ok?

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah they work together great. Just make sure you install "Android Wear" on your phone as well as Xdrip :)