Libre precise sensor location - where on triceps?

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just finished with my first Freestyle Libre sensor, which has been a real eye-opener.
It already seems a little unsettling going back to only finger prick tests for a day- like trying to guess which way something is moving with an infrequent strobe light vs leaving the light on!

However, I don't think I picked the ideal location for it last time, and was hoping some of you might have some pointers before I stick the next one on.
The part I chose didn't stay very flat, which I think was a factor in it peeling up at the side towards the end of the 1st week (I had to keep it on with Opsite in the 2nd). It was also a bit painful to insert and I had a dull ache in that area for most of the life of the sensor, so I wonder if it maybe went a little too deep. Accuracy was so-so after the first day - usually within 2mmol of finger pricks after accounting for the delay.
I lift weights frequently and have a good amount of muscle, with fairly low body fat, particularly on my arms (I've never been able to inject there, even with 4mm needles).
So for any of the leaner libre users - where on the 'horseshoe' of the triceps do you find best?
I've shown in the image below some possibilities.
The first time I put it around (A), almost on the shoulder, and I think it was the dip between the tricep and delt, and/or the rounding of that head when I flexed my arm straight that was causing it to peel up.
(B) is hard and moves when I flex, but does stay fairly smooth.
(C) seems to be where a lot of people choose.
The softest part of my arm is (D), nestled right in the corner of the horseshoe, though maybe a bit lower would move less.
I don't care whether it is visible or not when I wear a short sleeve T-shirt, but if it was exactly at the line of the sleeve it seems it might catch and be annoying.
uUX1lFT.png

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but as I'm going to be stuck(hopefully!) with this location for the next 2 weeks, I'd really like to find the most comfortable and secure spot.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried all those but find C is the best. Make sure your arm is bent when you apply it (e.g.: touch your shoulder)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with C (although my arm is much squidgier that the pic!!!)

I also find that (having had the sensor in position C on both arms) it is better on the left arm.

Being right handed, I knock it on door frames, the car seat, backs of chairs, coat armholes, etc. if it is on the right arm. But maybe that is just me.

Reactions: 2 people

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only on my second sensor. I think I put my first one on more like D, but feel it wasn't far back enough. It wasn't the side I usually sleep on, but if I was on that side I lay on it. Second one has gone in C position.