Licence expired, awaiting DVLA medical decision, can I drive

Lord Kram

Had a look around the net but couldn't find a definite answer
Had my field test done on thurs 31st but license also ran out the same day
Question is, am I still legal/allowed to drive while I'm waiting for the decision? Should I stop driving now and wait until I get the letter etc?
Thanks

jopar

Re: Licence expired, awaiting DVLA medical decision, can I d

You need to phone the DVLA...

But I very much doubt it..

If the expiry date has passed then the licence isn't valid, and I can't see the DVLA given the go ahead for you to continue to drive..

But as I said, you need to phone them and ask..

I wouldn't drive until you've had it clarified...

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

Sorry but an out of date licence is out of date - please do not ask me how I know

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Just read my post again - sounds a little condecending - sorry. Meant that an out of date licence is an expired licence in every respect and is unacceptable for the purpose of driving any vehicle or holding insurance cover.

Lord Kram

No worries, i could see what u meant anyways :)
Thanks for the info anyway, I don't think I would of beein in this situation if DVLA hadnt of taken so long in processing after my 2nd lot of forms went through which took nearly a month!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Lord Kram said:
Had a look around the net but couldn't find a definite answer
Had my field test done on thurs 31st but license also ran out the same day
Question is, am I still legal/allowed to drive while I'm waiting for the decision? Should I stop driving now and wait until I get the letter etc?
Thanks

I think you will find that you are entitled to drive until they say no as you already hold the licence. If it was for a first time licence the answer is a def no no. Try reading the info that came with your renewal aplication. As others have said check with DVLA though.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Walk into the nearest police station - I am amazed at the advice you are being given. Your circumstances would be taken into consideration by the Magistrates but you would still be found guilty and have points added to the expired licence which would be carried forward to any future licence you may be lucky enough to receive.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

BaliRob said:
Walk into the nearest police station - I am amazed at the advice you are being given. Your circumstances would be taken into consideration by the Magistrates but you would still be found guilty and have points added to the expired licence which would be carried forward to any future licence you may be lucky enough to receive.
As I said do check with DVLA

How do I know if my photo licence has expired?
To check the status of your photo driving licence, the front of the card shows the expiry date of the photo license (marked 4b). The DVLA will send a renewal application pack before the photo needs to be renewed. Renewing the photo licence is usually £20. Your new licence should be sent back to you within three weeks, although it may take longer than this if medical and personal details need to be verified. As long as you have previously held a UK driving licence and are not likely to have your renewal rejected for medical reasons, it should be fine for you to drive while you await your new licence.

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/wha ... pired.html

Now when my licence came up for renewal the letter stated I could continue to drive until informed other wise. Or words to that effect.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

The DVLA do not prosecute a driver for driving without a VALID licence. PLEASE GIVE ME THE NAME OF ANY INSURANCE COMPANY WHICH WILL HOLD ME COVERED DRIVING A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A ROAD IN THE UK WITH AN EXPIRED LICENCE. OR, ON RENEWAL, KNOWING THAT THE LICENCE IS OUT OF DATE, WILL ISSUE YOU WITH A NEW CERTIFICATE ON YOUR POLICY.

jopar

Rob

Nobody is telling him that he can drive at all, so far we all informed him that he needs to check with the DVLA..

The problem is, that when LK sent his forms back to have his renewal request back to the DVLA his licence was still valid and it takes about a month for the DVLA to issue you with the renewal on your licence... But in LK's case there's been a delay in the paperwork which has meant that his actual licence isn't showing a valid date! So DLVA may give a temp extension to this expiry date so he may continue to drive, due to the problem lies with them and not him!... But the only way he will find out is to ring the DLVA...

The DVLA once sent back my renewal, which the expiry date was my 70th birthday almost 30 years away :shock:

Theoretically because they had issued it, with full knowledge of my T1 status etc. As long as my medical condition didn't change during that time it would have be legal and valid!

Yes I was rather tempted to keep my licence, but felt that it would be a lot wiser to request the standard 3 year renewal so sent it back and had the dates adjusted...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

BaliRob said:
The DVLA do not prosecute a driver for driving without a VALID licence. PLEASE GIVE ME THE NAME OF ANY INSURANCE COMPANY WHICH WILL HOLD ME COVERED DRIVING A MOTOR VEHICLE ON A ROAD IN THE UK WITH AN EXPIRED LICENCE. OR, ON RENEWAL, KNOWING THAT THE LICENCE IS OUT OF DATE, WILL ISSUE YOU WITH A NEW CERTIFICATE ON YOUR POLICY.

There is no need to shout :thumbdown:

All OP has to do is ask DVLA for a letter stating he is legal to drive whilst on going enquiries are made.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.

CarbsRok said:
BaliRob said:

There is no need to shout :thumbdown:

All OP has to do is ask DVLA for a letter stating he is legal to drive whilst on going enquiries are made.
+1

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Lord Kram asked a simple legal question and was given the correct legal answer - people should not mislead him. Sorry for shouting.

Paul1976

Dislikes

Rob...How is advising Lord Kram to check with DVLA where he stands,misleading him?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

BaliRob said:
Lord Kram asked a simple legal question and was given the correct legal answer - people should not mislead him. Sorry for shouting.

No one has misled him so what's your problem? No one on this forum can give a 100% correct answer hence we all gave our own views and said ring DVLA

Nah - they wrote to me on 22 November and said that someone from the DSA would be in touch 'shortly' as I have to attend a Driving Test centre, so an Examiner can testify to them that I can read a car number plate at 20 yards .....

I rang DVLA for a definition of 'shortly' which they can't give me, but she did offer to send me a letter to say I can still drive while I'm waiting, and that arrived the end of the week.

The above is from another web site. So !

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Lord Kram has been advised to telephone the DVLA to clarify his position - this is ok but how can it help him drive until the licence is renewed? What if the adviser said, "yes, it's ok for you to drive" . Think about this very carefully - what proof will Lord Kram have of this authorititive answer should he blithely continue to drive. What if (God forbid) he has the most serious of accidents resulting in loss of life and an enormous law suit against his insurance company? Forget whether he faces the Magistrates or higher court re an expired licence. Do you honestly think that the insurance company will not find out about the licence - they all have ex-traffic patrol police officers working for them? I can quote from most of the RTA's since 1930 and 1960 but let's get up to date. Check the 1988 Road Traffic Act, sections 87 & 99(4) under legislation.gov.uk and see under 'Exceptions' whether one can drive without a current licence.

When I saw Lord Kram's post I was the first to answer and was of a mind to try and protect him from the temptation to drive under the circumstances and to avoid any of the possible problems above.

All of you that said to Lord Kram - "Phone the DVLA" should have added, "....but please do not drive until you receive some documentation from them telling you that you can drive"

Paul1976

Dislikes

I know what you're saying Rob BUT I've been in this situation myself(Unrelated condition) and When I was told driving may continue I asked "what proof have I got until the documents arrived" I was told that a note would be put on my file confirming i could still drive in the meanwhile.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Paul1976 said:
I know what you're saying Rob BUT I've been in this situation myself(Unrelated condition) and When I was told driving may continue I asked "what proof have I got until the documents arrived" I was told that a note would be put on my file confirming i could still drive in the meanwhile.

Don't also forget that all calls to the DVLA will be recorded.

Scoop4

If you read the info that came with you medical questionnaire it states that you are not allowed to drive until you receive your new licence. I did not know this and I rang the DVLA and was told this suppose I should have read all the bumph they send you would have save embrassment and a phone call.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I knew a coach driver who when renewing their licence had to have their medical conditions debated by DVLA to see whether they would be allowed to keep their licence. While this was going on their licence expired, thus meaning the driver wouldn't be able to work. On asking DVLA they said they could continue to drive until a decision was made as the category was not revoked until the final decision was made.
I know this is a case of Group 2 category over and above the regular car category so is slightly different but the Group 2 category HAD expired and the driver was STILL permitted to drive that category pending a decision.
It is therefore worth asking for clarification, they can only say NO.

Best wishes
Angie