Licence revoked

Ilg5

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

This is my first post so apologies if I've done it wrong! My boyfriend was diagnosed with type 1 about a month ago (he's 23). He informed the DVLA the day after he was discharged from hospital and carried on driving as normal. However he's just received a letter telling him his licence has been revoked, stating he must have a visual acuity of at least 0.5.

This is fine, but he hasn't been given an eye test since he was diagnosed and at his last eye test he met these requirements? So why have they decided to revoke his licence without a test being carried out, assuming he can't meet the legal requirement? The only explanation I can think of is that he hasn't had an eye test recently enough for them to know so have just revoked it anyway?!

If anyone has any experience of this or can let me know the procedure to reapplying for your licence, any help would be much appreciated!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thats odd.. It would be worth checking with consultant to see if he had to do a report on partner and let the consultant know whats happened.

Can you just recap for me.. Did your partner have an eye test prior to his diabetes being diagnosed.. If so, How long before was this done and have you got a copy of the actual test results? He should have been given a copy, but a duplicate from the testing company should be available if requested.

I wonder if there has been an error made? I know my consultant in Wales when I was with him whilst he completed my dvla form actually made a mistake in his tick boxes he was completing and I pointed it out to him.

You do not normally sit with a consultant whilst they fill out forms though..

The other thing to do would be to get your partner to phone dvla.medical staff and ask where they got the information from regarding eyes.

Do not divulge more info than you should though... I was so mad with dvla at one point, i said to them they were making me depressed... Next minute they wrote to me and said New evidence had come to lught and I needed to tell them more information... The person who I spoke to had recorded I was depressed and I should have written it on the form....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ilg5

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply! It turns out the mistake wasn't the consultants at all - my partner had ticked the wrong box himself.

He phoned the DVLA today and the woman on the phone apparently agreed the question mistakenly answered was a 'misleading double negative' question. Anyway, there's a procedure he has to follow now and hopefully he will get his licence back without much hassle.

Lesson learnt: always read things very carefully!!

Thanks very much for your help, I'm sure there will be many more questions from my over the next few months :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Good.. If you see what I mean.... I totally forgot how bad the forms were and how often people fill them in incorrectly...

Glad that you phoned dvla.. And got a quick(ish) (hopefully) answer....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App