Lifestyle Testing Strips - Cashing In?

Scardoc

Picked up a prescription the other day for testing strips and noticed that Lifescan are now packing 50 test strips into one little tub instead of the previous 25. (OneTouch Ultra).

Now, there are 400,000 type 1 diabetics in the UK so let’s assume an average of 4 tests per day each. That’s 1.6M tests per day which is 584M tests per annum. Divide that amount by 25 strips per little tub and you get 23.36M little tubs.

So, some genius has now cut that down to 11.68M tubs. I have no idea how much a tub like this would cost, there is a little “pip” on the bottom so I assume it’s moulded and thus reasonably cheap. Even if you said £0.20 a go then they have saved £1.168M per annum. That is for T1’s only and for the UK only. Worldwide savings for T1 and T2??

I know Lifescan are not the only supplier of strips and there are lots of variations but I do wonder how much of this saving has filtered down to the NHS.

Oh, and now they only pack one tub into a cardboard box instead of two so they’ve saved further there. Is the cardboard box required? I think not.

My excuse for thinking about this instead of working is that I cost things for a living so it took my interest.

Reactions: 8 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you suggest it is an international thing (well at least it's a cross channel thing) but one touch over here has been packing them at 50 to the tub for several years now. They come in two tubs to a packet (ie 100) though, not one.

Reactions: 2 people

Scardoc

Until this week I have always been supplied 2 tubs to a box (ie 50 - 25 per tub).

Now, it's one tub of 50 per box! Smaller box. Strange. Can't comment on international tub and box arrangements, no experience. Surely there must be a crazy EU ruling to cover all of this!!! :)

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I had to purchase the test strips here in France. they come as said 2 in a box 100 tests. the cost is 38 Euros. normally I get them free from the Doctor part of the of the ordonnance prescription not a problem. but they are more expensive here. but due to not going to the doctors got them from over the counter at the pharmacy.
I tried to purchase the test strips in UK but they did not have the same type. I did buy some only 10 in a box. unfortunatley they did not fit my accu chek so was left with just 2 to last me until I returned to France. they cost six pounds odd. so you live and learn. I just thought I had enough to last while visiting the UK. but did more checks. then normal. Anne T2

#In France all pills, tests strips are free from the doctor as it is covered by their health service. The only thing I have to pay is for consultation with the Doctor costs 22 euros When you are retired you are covered for 100 percent for medication

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They have always come in two sizes actually, its meant to be a saving for T2s who arent expected to test as often ie cant get through the whole 50 and throw some away. Also the cardboard is needed to stop the pot being opened in transit or similar. Alternatively you would need a pot redesign with a tamper proof seal which is also easy for those with things like athritis to open :/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Lifescan rep told me it was to make the firm more environmentally friendly by cutting down on the amount of plastic used. Did point out that the pot was far too small to hold the 50 strips as so difficult to get the strips out of them.
Oh and for good measure he also told me they were not making the one ouch ultra2 meters anymore. :(

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Until this week I have always been supplied 2 tubs to a box (ie 50 - 25 per tub).

Now, it's one tub of 50 per box! Smaller box. Strange. Can't comment on international tub and box arrangements, no experience. Surely there must be a crazy EU ruling to cover all of this!!! :)

Where do you live? It is usually 50 strips here.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed the change recently.... I find it near impossible to get the first 10-20 strips out of the pot because there's now so many in there and my not-so-dainty fingers don't fit inside. o_O

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Why not just tilt the bottle slightly and then take out a strip. but understand it can be a problem They are not made for bigger fingers.
Keep at it.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not just tilt the bottle slightly and then take out a strip. but understand it can be a problem They are not made for bigger fingers.
Keep at it.

Yes, I've tried that - they all come out at once and separating them when they're 'stuck' together is tricky without them falling all over the place... and I never know how much exposure to the outside air is too much exposure. It's not a major problem though - I have bigger things to worry about! :)

Reactions: 2 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sorry you made me laugh, at least you have sense of humour. I really cannot help much but you have made my day.
maybe keep the old bottle and transfer some into that.
AS you said you have bigger things to worry about wish you luck Anne

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started getting the 50 per pot a couple of months ago. I had the same thought - that it was a money saving move. It's a good idea except for the difficulty getting the strips out. I had problems when there were only 25 in the pot so I have a new 'challenge'!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed the change recently.... I find it near impossible to get the first 10-20 strips out of the pot because there's now so many in there and my not-so-dainty fingers don't fit inside.
Eyebrow tweezers :)

Kate

south711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
clever idea, like that