Light headed and dizzy on increased dose of Metformin

allthatsfae

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and have joined for some support and hopefully gain from the knowledge of other diabetics. I am a type 2 with a family history on both sides. I have just had my Metformin increased from 500mg 3xday to eventually 1000mg 3xday. At the moment I am taking one morning and lunchtime, then 2 with dinner in the evening. The intention is for me to increase by a further dose weekly until I am up to the full amount.

I started the increase last Friday when my Hba1c was 9.3, since then I have begun to feel severly light headed and dizzy. I expected the nausea and diarrhoea which I have also experienced but wasn't prepared for this dizzy feeling. To be honest I am really concerned about increasing the dose again for the next stage incase it gets worse. Pre breakfast blood sugars were in the 9's but have come down now to 8.1mmols this morning which I am pleased about.

I have to admit, and hang my head in shame, because I am a qualified health professional (albeit with very little up to date knowledge about diabetes), and have due to stress, and coping with an autistic son, almost tried to ignore the fact that I was diagnosed as diabetic because I felt it was just one more thing to add to the stress and I didn't want it!! (who does?).

My diabetes has now turned and bitten me on the backside, and I am making some lifestyle changes and accepting that I can't ignore it.

Can anyone give me any idea about whether the side effects that I am experiencing are normal, and if so how long they are likely to last? Thanks in advance for any replies :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
These are the known listed side effects for Metformin taken from the BNF58.

Side-effects anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea (usually transient), abdominal pain, taste disturbance, rarely lactic acidosis (withdraw treatment), decreased vitamin-B12 absorption, erythema, pruritus and urticaria; hepatitis also reported.

In view of the recent addition of Metformin and the fact that you are now experiencing these problems it would be wise to see your GP and discuss this. It could also be related to other medications you may be on, possibly non Diabetes related. Check the side effects with all of them.

Katharine

From my understanding there is no increase in benefit from increasing metfomin from more than 2000 mg a day. I would cut back on the dose. More of the same isn't the answer here.

You can improve your diabetes control by:

restricted carb diet
resistance training exercise
reducing stress/getting enough sleep

BUT

If you need other medications or insulin that is what you need.