1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Lighterlife

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by mariab, Jul 5, 2011.

1. mariab

mariab · Active Member

Hi Everyone

I've just signed up for the Lighterlife programme in an effort to lose some weight quickly. Will keep you informed how I go.

Maria x

2. louiseb

louiseb · Well-Known Member

have you checked with your gp that is ok?
    I also considering the lighterlife diet myself but I need to speak to my gp first.

3. mariab

mariab · Active Member

I've got an appointment at the surgery for Monday but my argument (if I get one) is going to be that he's told/warned me about my weight so now I'm doing something about it. Hopefully he'll sign it, if he doesn't I've got an appointment with the Practice Nurse on Tuesday and she was brilliant last week and I discussed Lighterlife with her and she's on a similar programme so I'm pretty sure she;ll do it for me. Will let you know. Maria

4. mariab

mariab · Active Member

OK - will let you know how I get on with the foodpacks this week. I'm going to struggle to drink 3 litres of water a day - I work 20 miles from home and it takes me about 1 hour to get home if the traffic is bad. Will have to have a potty in the car for emergencies (not a nice picture!!)

Maria

5. mehdave

mehdave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I did the lighterlife programme in the past and did lose some weight. However be prepared for your GP to say no and not sign the form they want you to get done. I had to get a private doctor to do it. About £30 quid.

Its not easy and the milk shakes at the time where disgusting especially the chocolate but supposedly its now been reformulated to be nicer. The summer fruits water additive is a really good price and lasts ages. Just be careful not to overdo the water I was getting cramps. And watch the Blood suger as always. The group sessions I found where allot of rubbish and it would be allot better if you could just buy it and do it yourself.

6. mariab

mariab · Active Member

It's Day 4 now and I've managed really well so far - I've even managed the water. I did have to go back and change some food packs because the Shepherd's Pie pack was like cat food!! Finding it hard today because everyone else is home and they're all eating normal food. I'm not hungry and haven't been since starting the diet.

I havent' had a BS level over 6 since I started except for first thing in the morning but that's come down to 6.5ish - all other readings have been between 5.00 and 5.7.

Will keep going and keep you informed!

Maria

7. chrissieworne

chrissieworne · Well-Known Member

lighterlife diet

Hi all, my GP has given me the okay to do this diet, it is a VLCD but he says it works for people like me who are just ca'nt geting the weight off and do want to have gastric surgery. He has had to fill in a massive questionnaire which the LL medics have okayed.

I am worried about some of the articles on here warning about the horrors of these diets and even death :(

Surely if well supervised (as I will be by GP/DN and the counsellor) it is safe to do? :?:

This system also incorporates weekly counselling and group sessions to help people reconise their triggers for eating and support in re-introducing food. :D

Has anyone here been on this at all?

TA, Chris

8. chrissieworne

Re: lighterlife diet

Sorry badly written post. Meant to say DO NOT WANT SURGERY.............

9. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

Keep us tuned in

Also starting on the 15th with 800kcal Optifast with GP approval support

Ask for some extra test strips

Your an adult you have seen your GP .You don't need any approval from here
    Good luck hope it goes well for you

Only need to change the avatar now :wink:

Bob

10. chrissieworne

Aw, don't you like my Tigger??? :lol: It's my nickname.

What is Optifast??

I am not starting until Oct though........don't ask!

Good luck and I hope yo be much less bouncy in a few weeks time, in the best sense of the word :lol:

Chris

11. minitata

minitata · Well-Known Member

I think with the avatar bowell means that all the others following a VLCD - Patch, Kenny and others are using South Park avatars - sort of making a group of you all.

Your tigger is lovely, but you are about to become a South Parkian :lol:

MTT

12. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

13. chrissieworne

Hi Mariab
    How are you getting on with the LL? I join on 20 Oct after getting GP and LL approval.

Chris :D

14. chrissieworne

Anyone out there on it?

Chrissie

15. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know people who have had amazing results on LL (3st in 8weeks!).

Can''t argue with results like that.

But doesn't it work out around £70 - £80 per week? That's a lot...

BUT - can't put a price on results like the ones above!

16. spendercat

spendercat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My cousin did this about a year ago. She lost over 3 stones and looks lovely. She is a professional woman and needed to look the part for career reasons.

She did put some of it back on, and now has gallstones. She tells me that is not an uncommon after effect. Why, who knows? It is very low fat so perhaps it messes with your gall bladder.

17. chrissieworne

Re: Lighterlife update

Hi all, just an update, started Lighterlife 4 weeks ago and at weigh in last night have now lost 1 stone 4lbs in 4 weeks. :clap:

:D Am feeling really well and at my 4 week check with the GP my BP has lowered, my pulse is lower and my BG readings throughout the day are amazing.

Am feeling REALLY positive and the coounselling is amazing.

Chrissie

18. SparkJack

SparkJack Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't want to put a damper on things BUT....... I had actually booked my first Lighterlife session and it happened to coincide with the day I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 in 2007.A great motivation factor....
    I attended the group sessions, met a fantastic group of people and lost four and a half stone in about 4 months. I felt well the whole time except I suffered from the cold from the inside out. I liked most of the shakes and bars and one or two of the soups. I even sailed in the Caribbean during the second week with a suitcase full of shakes etc. What customs made of them I do not know.
    I was stupid though. I had had enough at the end of 4/5 months and didn't sign up for the phase where you re-learn how to eat.
    I put the weight and more back on. It was a very expensive way of losing weight . I still have the clothes I bought for the slimmer me and they are now what I am aiming for: slowly but surely this time.
    My weight crept on over a long period of time so I'm doing the it's for life low carb way of living rather than a diet thing.I'm losing a pound a week (even with a recently diagnosed dead thyroid)
    Have fun doing the LL way.Enjoy the DVD's and classes BUT sign up for the follow up sessions as well.
    I even got used to being the nominated driver.....however did I manage no alcohol for nearly 5 months?
    Good Luck

19. Mellampard

Mellampard · Member

Hi, I have been on LL for 8 weeks and lost 2 stone! My BG numbers have dropped and my insulin has come so far down I will be off it in maybe a month! (I'm type2). I'm having to come off by BP medication too. This is the first time I've lost any real weight for 35 years. People are starting to notice now and getting compliments are a really good motivator. My Dr and diabetic nurse were all for it and I get checked regulary, as when I lose weight my mess have to be altered. It's not cheap but it's cheaper and safer than a gastric band. It's good for me that I don't have conventional food, but I've never been "hungry", just a craving for real food! I find the classes informative and it has given me an insight into why I ate like I did. Plus I know I won't be able to eat like I did before when I go back to food. I have a new found respect for food and what and how I put it in my body!
    Hope anyone else on LL is also having a good time!
    Mel xxx

20. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just found this thread from Google, I found out about LigherLife as my GP says on their website they will not sign the form as it takes up too much time to do the monitoring.

Therefore I thought it may be interesting to understand Lighterlife.

Lighterlife looks like the Newcastle Diet (but without the fresh non-starchy vegetables) with Group Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to help people stay committed to not eating any real food. Their meals have more carbs then I would have expected and are much lower fat then what most LCHF experts’ recommend.

There seems to be issues with people getting back to “normal eating” after they have lost weight.

Personally I think “Low Carb High Fat” (LCHF) and/or “Intermittent Fasting” are better options for most people as they are more sustainable as a lifestyle.

If you decide to do LigherLife without your GPs support you must understand all the drugs you are taking, if any of them can result in your body being unable to increase BG levels, and monitor your BG very carefully so you can take action if it becomes too low.

Unlike LCHF you can’t start LigherLife slowly so you meds may need adjusting a few times a week for the first few weeks.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook