Lightheadedness/Fogginess

lilibet

Hi all

Just a quick query as to possible causes of this in newly diagnosed Type 1 (ie, me). BS slowly coming down and averaging about 7. Am on premix 2x daily at present, current diet is usual advice (though I have cut portions of carbs I would have normally eaten) and snacks at present every three hours or so.

Have been feeling bit better relative to diagnosis as things start to settle, but not consistently. Eg fine to go out and about yesterday, felt quite normal. Today feeling light headed and bit foggy - though have checked and no drop in bs. Could the rise in bs post eating be causing this? I dont think they are going particularly hyper though prob not within normal post eating range.

Is this normal - to have good days and bad days until is is stable over a period of time. :?: At this rate dont think I can manage the fluctuations enough to go back to work though on good days I feel fraudulent.

Have SDN today so will ask her to check my BP which has always been more or less spot on if not slightly below the standard 120/80.

Hope someone can help. Hoping it is related to diabetes, dont think I could cope with something else

Thanks
L x

PS am not dehydrated or taking too much caffiene

Lel

Hey,

If your BG has been running high for a long period of time you will find that as the numbers come down it'll feel almost like you are having a hypo i.e the dizziness and lightheadedness, i have this when im having a hypo.
your body is just having to get used to not running at those numbers anymore so it's basically starting to panic. when you feel like this keep checking your levels and drink plenty. i find this works for me.

There is a lot of trial and error when you first start making changes but you will start to get the hang of it.
keep asking questions and try and find out as much as you can about diabetes and how your body works as this is a huge help.

Good luck xx

caitycakes

Hi lilibet,

When I was about two or three weeks post diagnosis I found that as blood glucose was coming nicely under control for a period of about two weeks I would get hypo symptoms (lightheaded and shaky) and when I checked my sugars would be ok. As lel says it's just your body adjusting. I remember pulling over from driving in a panic with hypo symptoms and knowing full well I could not be having a hypo (I'd just eaten) and after checking my sugar levels were 9.4. Felt like a plonker and was starting to ask myself if I was getting panic attacks!!! Within a couple of weeks It stopped happening and hasn't happened since. Managing to keep my levels really good despite being on pre-mix and injecting twice a day and haven't had a hypo for about 4 weeks (no mean feet when you're not basal/bolus!). You are doing really well and the best thing you did was to join this forum. It's invaluable.

regards
caitycakes

lilibet

Thanks all

Tested again before lunch and was 4.4 :shock: so think you are all likely to be right, it may be feeling of sugars coming down and my insulin must be peaking then.. On the bright side, at least I seem to have some kind of early warning system in place - handy for hypos maybe.

Great to have feedback from people who have been through it all though. Until I get stable and back to feeling 'normal' I'll just have to keep my diabetes fuelled hypochondria at bay as best I can. Internet is both a blessing and a curse - I was convinced I had Postprandial Hypotension as it was always about half hour after eating my mid morning snack that feelings started. This condition is not related to diabetes per se but in lists of causes, diabetes was mentioned. Well, you can imagine............ :lol:

L

caitycakes

Yep,

You wouldn't believe the list of things I have imagined are wrong with me! lol. Indigestion becomes a heart problem. Headaches become tumours. Cold feet become neuropathy (nothing to do with the fact that I'm walking barefoot on the tiled kitchen floor). Oops hope the foot nurse didn't read that!!!!!

Don't worry, your in good company.

regards
caitycakes

Lel

Lol can totally relate there every single ache and pian when i was first diagnosed was the beginning of the end. how anyone put up with me i'll never know.

It's good that you have hypo awareness as there are some people dont feel it when their sugars are too low and thats when more serious things happen. until you get used to your new way of living there is no harm in being overcautious.

Lel xx