link between flu virus and diabetes onset

Cowboyjim

http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?CALLER=EN_NEWS&ACTION=D&SESSION=&RCN=35304

Researchers in Italy have discovered that the flu virus could contribute to the onset of diabetes. This finding could help scientists uncover a way to prevent some forms of this condition. The study was funded in part by the FLUTRAIN ('Training and technology transfer of avian influenza diagnostics and disease management skills') project, which received EUR 1.8 million under the Policies Thematic area of the EU's Sixth Framework Programme (FP6).

The Italian researchers are now investigating the effects of flu on mouse models of type 1 diabetes and are probing recent flu infection in patients recently diagnosed with the condition. 'The great thing is that even if flu only causes a few percent of type 1 diabetes cases,' said Dr Capua, 'we can vaccinate and prevent flu in people who are genetically predisposed, and that can have a real impact.'

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cowboyjim :)

This was very interesting.
As I was taking in the info I came across, Dr Victor Marchione.
Have you any thoughts on him as I found he did make some sense regarding certain foods for diabetes.

Roy. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Want it the Italian flu virus that had to be recalled this year?

Seems a little ironic to me :?