Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

As I simply can NOT ever eat pizza 'again' as it really does spikes me hugely .
Same with a freshly local baked Coffee Renoir it did far too much damage 16.7
[still remember this day as if it was just yesterday, took me ages to get right way up again]

I am wondering what other foods members simply cant/daren't eat 'again' ?

I have found over time I do have a steer clear of - food list too risky to eat 'again'
as it is too damaging on my own blood sugars .
Over time I have developed the will power and lost the taste cravings too :thumbup:

Only hurdle is when I pop anywhere near the fabulous bakery that make the yummy custardy
Coffee Renoir's I do battle with myself over the smell and sight of them .
Always loved anything custardy or caramel/vanilla .
Both my mother and grandma used to bake/make lots of creamy egg custards and
fabulous rice puddings etc.
I would often skip a main meal and just have a serving of these instead .
I was very skinny and cocky when younger also .
This is where I think and feel the food preference love thing with custard,caramel,vanilla came from!

I am happy now as I just stick with what is best and safest to ... :thumbup:

Anna .

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Spicy popadums cause havoc with the inside of my mouth. It took a few times before I realised the connection. If I eat one I get huge blisters shaped like a little finger hanging from the roof of my mouth. These things are full of blood. Somtimes I can get hold of them and pull them off (yuk I know :mrgreen: ) Other times I just have to leave them. It's only spicy popadums that cause this.

All meat and eggs are off my food list and have been for a few decades now. Go on then, ask me what I would do if I was stranded in the desert with only meat to eat!
Easy, I can't go to a desert because my ballance problem would stop me flying or going on a ship. I could go through the chunnel and drive down to a desert I suppose!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything with flour in. Most particularly the ready meals made from flour and sugar in the supermarket. Many of these items are "low fat" which just means they have added sugar.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
So far since testing at least my biggies have been jelly sweets (yet obvious and stupid 24.9lol) oddly beans on brown toasted muffins oh and bananas grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically anything with flour or rice in it for me, but having said that I will still indulge in small quantities from time to time, say maybe two tbs of fried basmati rice if we having a curry, but definitely not very often

Its the bread and pizza I miss most, I would love to find a good thin crust pizza base that I could eat.

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most things made with white flour, some granary breads, and the usual foods / drinks with sugar in.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Not sure there is anything I couldn't eat again under any circumstances.

For instance I used to have a weakness for Mars Bars and to eat one now would usually be a bit silly, but I did have one when running 7.5 miles - sliced up before hand and a slice every mile or so.

There are better running foods but this was a chance for a forbidden treat when the impact was likely to be fairly low. :)

The one thing I absolutely avoid is adding sugar to tea or coffee.

Cheers

LGC

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'll have to get back on this one as the list is LONG

DanielBail

Mines energy drinks I used to be hooked but I corrected a hypo with a can of monster and quickly went from bg of 3 to just over 20! Lol needless to say I lernt my lesson quickly

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
DanielBail said:
Mines energy drinks I used to be hooked but I corrected a hypo with a can of monster and quickly went from bg of 3 to just over 20! Lol needless to say I lernt my lesson quickly

That reminds me. Coca Cola. The 'real' stuff, not diet. I used to drink about 30 litres a week. I haven't touched any sort of cola in about 13 years. I used to drink coke all day rather than eat.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
lrw60 said:
DanielBail said:

That reminds me. Coca Cola. The 'real' stuff, not diet. I used to drink about 30 litres a week. I haven't touched any sort of cola in about 13 years. I used to drink coke all day rather than eat.

Coke zero tast better than regular been my favorate for years and only been diagnosed diabetic just over a week so I wss drinking it for the tsste not as a substitute

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
actually the other way round for me! Type 1, never used to have sweets or sugary drinks. Now have to have them for hypos. Rest of my diet exactly the same before diagnosis :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

LittleWolf

Floury things, particularly this one brand of japanese prawn crackers I adore and bread stuff. Breakfast cereals. Bananas and grape juice.

I'm not entirely sure why Lucozade doesn't spike my blood sugar above 9 but 1 slice of toast took it up to 17 the other day. My doctor doesnt know because he doesnt even know there are different types of sugars, or how to perform an OGTT...

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type 1 I can eat nearly everything as long as I know carb content. Obviously some things in moderation and some are completely off the list. I miss Haribo jellies the most. I can have a few for treating hypos but what i miss is a whole packet in front of TV!

lrw60

Dislikes
Maybe I should make this my last entry in the can't eat again thread.

Hot buttered toast dipped in a cup of tea! Oooo, luverly! Well, it was for a very young boy. I always dipped my hot buttered toast in my tea. When the toast was all gone I would have a cup of tea with a layer of butter floating on top, and in the bottom of the cup. I can't repeat that particular pleasure, not for dietry reasons, I just haven't got the nerve!!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
lrw60 said:
Maybe I should make this my last entry in the can't eat again thread.

Hot buttered toast dipped in a cup of tea! Oooo, luverly! Well, it was for a very young boy. I always dipped my hot buttered toast in my tea. When the toast was all gone I would have a cup of tea with a layer of butter floating on top, and in the bottom of the cup. I can't repeat that particular pleasure, not for dietry reasons, I just haven't got the nerve!!

:lol: Then again I guess it's the same as dipping croissants into coffee which I enjoyed when i was younger and I actually put butter in my coffee instead of cream sometimes and it's really rather nice! :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately for me I never had a sweet tooth so not taking sugar etc. is not missed but I am aware that I will never start on it.

Flour is my most difficult thing. Any ready made foods with flour in (and probably sugar) are definite no-no's. This includes bread so all sandwiches are out. I have experimented with making my own bread and introducing lard into it and this has proved to be successful to a point.

Rice is a problem in Chinese Chippy like quantities but I reduce the amount when I cook it to a level I can get away with.

Potatoes are a bit unpredictable especially if not new. Happily new potatoes, particularly Charlottes do not raise my sugar levels at all. I have let some sprout and now grow them in large containers in the garden.

The only fizzy drink I ever liked is called beer which, I think is how I came to be in this condition. I find wine a suitable replacement if I don't overdo it. Sadly I overdo it now and again but Hey-Ho.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much like Squire I didn't have a sweet tooth before so don't miss sugary treats. I can't really think of any foods that I couldn't eat again as there's not many foods I exclude, if something did caused a bg spike I would eat less of it and only have it as an occasional treat.