Liver dump?

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you get a liver dump when your bg is only at 3.8mmol? I woke up this morning at 3.8, calculated my dosage taking this into account (using my pump), had breakfast - everything the same as normal. 2 hours post breakfast I would've expected to be around the 7.0 mark but just tested and I'm 20!!! I'm never this high. Surely my liver wouldn't dump glucose at 3.8? My site and tubing appears to be okay, no blood or air bubbles in the line. I'm baffled.

I'll test again in an hour to see if it's dropped.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would say that your bg was lower than 3.8 before you woke and you did have a liver dump......hence why your bg was 20mmol two hours after breakfast.

It might be worth you setting your alarm for 1-2 hours before you normally wake just to make sure your not going hypo in your sleep, however if today's reading is a one-off I wouldn't worry too much about it.

iHs

Hi Lucie

Its possible that your bg levels started to lower much earlier in the early hours to morning so you should start to get up in the night unfortunately and do some bg testing to find out what times the bg starts to change and then if necessary, alter the basal rates.

Not sure how the Vibe works but on the Combo, a bg of 3.8mmol would not allow any insulin to be delivered until some glucose or carb had been eaten first and then by doing another bg test which should read higher, the combo will then calculate insulin accordingly. Its difficult to know whether your liver came to yr rescue over the low bg but if you have been D for about 15yrs or more, then its possible that your pancreas will no longer release glucagon as a natural means to make yr bg levels rise up and the only glucose from the liver will be from what you eat or drink. Might be better maybe if you treat the low bg first with 2 or 3 jellybabies and then wait for about 20mins to see if bg goes up a bit and then do bolus for breakfast.

What has made yr bg levels go up really high....... its hard to know..... it could be that yr calculations over the amount of insulin you needed werent correct for the food allowing for the low bg or could be that weirdly, you might need to alter yr basal rates upwards from breakfast and then that should stop the huge rise or alter the carb ratio. Its not unknown for pumpers to just experience changes in bg levels with virtually no warning. Often worry comes over the infusion set wondering if its blocking, has the line got bubbles in it etc but often its just the body changing its need for insulin and confusiing peeps when it decides to start changing.

See what happens tomorrow with yr bg levels and then youll get to know whether you need to change the settings or not.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hadn't considered that I'd been lower than 3.8 earlier in the morning. It would make sense though as last night I'd been more active than usual so perhaps I had been hypo in the night as a result. I've done loads of basal testing through the night just a few weeks ago so I know that it is correct. I also have the same breakfast every day so I also know the carb content of that. Next time I have that level of activity in the evening I'll set an alarm to test early in the morning.