liver dumps

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
can anyone tell me if type 1 diabetics actually get 'liver dumps'?? Type 2 i can understand as the pancreas still operates albeit not reguarly.

I am type 1 so dont think my pancreas does much, so not sure it can link with the liver etc to create 'liver dumps'?

Having said that my mind is spilt on whether or not my higher mid morning levels are caused by a 'liver dump' or not??

chocoholic

Yes, I'm pretty sure we can. I posted a couple of days ago (see 'Correction doses. Puzzled' thread below) as I'm still confused over what's happening with me. Nobody replied to that thread but I'm guessing it's because I'm 'unusual' but I'm sure the liver dump thing happens to Type 1's and 2's.

jopar

LWA

The liver as you know is constantly trickling glucose into the blood stream, the rate this happens is not only individual, but also changes through out the day… And in some cases can be effected by hormones…

All hormones fluctuate there production process during the day, the lowest ebb of hormone production for most is around 2-3am in the morning, then production will slowly increase as we get nearer to waking so that we can get and go… In most people this increase goes unnoticed and effects there BG very little…

How ever for some this increase in production is greater and reflects in a large raise in BG results, for T2 who have some natural ability left with the workings of there systems can use a source of protein to lessen the impact overnight, because protein slowly breaks down into a source of glucose this can get the body to naturally respond..

For T1 resolving the problem is difficult, because of the fluctuation involved and the need to have enough but not too much background insulin to cover these fluctuations, we require a different method and approach…

Your breakfast problems you might need to increase you insulin –carb ratio, as this problem could be caused by either your body is more resident to insulin in the morning than at other parts of the day, or the background insulin at this point isn’t quite enough so that you need to compensate for it’s lack.. As increasing the background insulin might mean that at other parts of the day you end up having too much background insulin swimming around causing hypos..

Another way around this, is to split the background insulin into 2 injection one am and one pm, you can then adjust these injections to better suit the glucose coming off the liver at these times..