1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Liver saving saturated fats

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by borofergie, Aug 3, 2012.

1. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

http://principleintopractice.com/2012/0 ... ated-fats/

2. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting; there was something on Radio 4 earlier in the week about the an increase in liver disease in the UK and how this is not just down to binge drinking but was a product of 'metabolic syndrome'.

When I heard that I thought "B*****ks! It's dietary" (as is, at its core, metabolic syndrome) and your link describes a mechanism; low fat diets.

Best

Dillinger

3. borofergie

You thought about a swear word while listening to Radio 4 :shock: I hope Eddie Mair doesn't find out...

4. SouthernGeneral6512

SouthernGeneral6512 · Well-Known Member

"saturated fats are actually a health promoting dietary agent"

WOW!

5. borofergie

Yes. Surprising isn't it? Who'd have guessed that saturated fat would be good for a species that evolved to eat animals and plants?

In other news, "fish like swimming in water".

6. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Exactly. " Eat what you are" makes sense. Kwasniewski likes pork best, since it is apparently closest to human composition.
    So saturated fat protects against PUFA as well as alcohol. I'll have to put some butter in my gin as well as on my fish.

7. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that the medic who wrote that article hasn't written a book :shock:

Geoff
    p.s. If they ever do so will it negate the claims ?

8. borofergie

:lol:

Actually human meat is most like human composition, but you have to hang out on diabetes forums if you want to find the "non-grain fed" variety.

9. clearviews

clearviews · Well-Known Member

Oh heck, I just posted the info on the Cereals thread that I am a "non-grain fed human".
    Living in trepidation now!!
    Alison

10. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

11. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Prior to being diagnosed and going Primal LCHF, an abdominal ultrasound revealed fatty liver, fatty pancreas and huge gallstones (though luckily no cholecystitis) - all thanks to a HCLF diet. I think I'll get another ultrasound after 12 months and see if my 'foie gras' liver has reversed. Should be interesting to find out...

12. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not really - the study you point to states that the PUFA/SF groups were made "without altering the macronutrient intake". So that means, in all likelihood, that they were both on high carb and high fat diets. It seems odd to then disregard the other macronutrients and say that one type of fat is better than another.

Dillinger

13. GraceK

GraceK · Well-Known Member

I can tell by how calm my tummy and digestive system is, how I no longer suffer from GERD, how back to normal my eliminations are - that my liver is positively ecstatic about my returning to the consumption of butter, cream, eggs, bacon and pork with fat. My guts have never been so happy for decades :lol: since I cut out grains and low fat spreads and skimmed milk. I've started losing weight very slowly and contrary to what I've always heard about the belly fat being the hardest to shift, oddly enough that's where I'm losing from first.

I think more about the food chain now than I did before. And I don't think we're meant to eat seeds and grains, we're meant to eat the birds who eat the seeds and grains - because they're the natural processors of that particular food. But what has mankind done? We've cut out the middle man (birdies) and processed the grains unnaturally. Hmmmph! :crazy:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook