Liver saving saturated fats

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
In the face of a lack of any significant scientific evidence that clearly shows that unadulterated-saturated fats play a significant role in heart disease (and without a reasonable mechanism suggesting why they might), I think the fear-mongering “artery clogging” accusations against saturated fats should be dropped. On the contrary, there is significant evidence that saturated fats are actually a health promoting dietary agent- all be it in another (though incredibly important) organ.
http://principleintopractice.com/2012/0 ... ated-fats/

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Interesting; there was something on Radio 4 earlier in the week about the an increase in liver disease in the UK and how this is not just down to binge drinking but was a product of 'metabolic syndrome'.

When I heard that I thought "B*****ks! It's dietary" (as is, at its core, metabolic syndrome) and your link describes a mechanism; low fat diets.

Best

Dillinger

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dillinger said:
Interesting; there was something on Radio 4 earlier in the week about the an increase in liver disease in the UK and how this is not just down to binge drinking but was a product of 'metabolic syndrome'.

When I heard that I thought "B*****ks! It's dietary" (as is, at its core, metabolic syndrome) and your link describes a mechanism; low fat diets.

Best

Dillinger

You thought about a swear word while listening to Radio 4 :shock: I hope Eddie Mair doesn't find out...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
"saturated fats are actually a health promoting dietary agent"

WOW!

Yes. Surprising isn't it? Who'd have guessed that saturated fat would be good for a species that evolved to eat animals and plants?

In other news, "fish like swimming in water".

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
Who'd have guessed that saturated fat would be good for a species that evolved to eat animals and plants?
Exactly. " Eat what you are" makes sense. Kwasniewski likes pork best, since it is apparently closest to human composition.
So saturated fat protects against PUFA as well as alcohol. I'll have to put some butter in my gin as well as on my fish.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
borofergie wrote
Who'd have guessed that saturated fat would be good for a species that evolved to eat animals and plants?

I'm just glad that the medic who wrote that article hasn't written a book :shock:

Geoff
p.s. If they ever do so will it negate the claims ?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Etty said:
Exactly. " Eat what you are" makes sense. Kwasniewski likes pork best, since it is apparently closest to human composition.
So saturated fat protects against PUFA as well as alcohol. I'll have to put some butter in my gin as well as on my fish.

:lol:

Actually human meat is most like human composition, but you have to hang out on diabetes forums if you want to find the "non-grain fed" variety.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Oh heck, I just posted the info on the Cereals thread that I am a "non-grain fed human".
Living in trepidation now!!
Alison

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prior to being diagnosed and going Primal LCHF, an abdominal ultrasound revealed fatty liver, fatty pancreas and huge gallstones (though luckily no cholecystitis) - all thanks to a HCLF diet. I think I'll get another ultrasound after 12 months and see if my 'foie gras' liver has reversed. Should be interesting to find out...

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Osidge said:
It's amazing how one piece of research can appear contradictory to another: http://www.health-forums.com/alt-suppor ... 91406.html

Doug

Not really - the study you point to states that the PUFA/SF groups were made "without altering the macronutrient intake". So that means, in all likelihood, that they were both on high carb and high fat diets. It seems odd to then disregard the other macronutrients and say that one type of fat is better than another.

Dillinger

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I can tell by how calm my tummy and digestive system is, how I no longer suffer from GERD, how back to normal my eliminations are - that my liver is positively ecstatic about my returning to the consumption of butter, cream, eggs, bacon and pork with fat. My guts have never been so happy for decades :lol: since I cut out grains and low fat spreads and skimmed milk. I've started losing weight very slowly and contrary to what I've always heard about the belly fat being the hardest to shift, oddly enough that's where I'm losing from first.

I think more about the food chain now than I did before. And I don't think we're meant to eat seeds and grains, we're meant to eat the birds who eat the seeds and grains - because they're the natural processors of that particular food. But what has mankind done? We've cut out the middle man (birdies) and processed the grains unnaturally. Hmmmph! :crazy: