Lixesenatide.

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will there come a time when I might be able to come off it.

My question - is Lixisenatide an insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi cathrinecherub am I doing this right, I am new and trying to find my way round.

C

catherinecherub

You are doing fine @john john,
I merged your posts as otherwise we would have had two threads about this medication.

The only person I could find on the forum who mentions using Lixisenatide is @luceeloo and so I have tagged her in the hope that she answers.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I'm late to answer this - haven't logged in for a while.

I am on Lixisenatide and have been for about a year, and haven't had any major problems with it (other than initial nausea). Lixisenatide is not an insulin, it's a GLP1 mimetic... basically, it mimicks the actions of a hormone that our bodies create naturally when we eat food. It makes the pancreas produce more insulin, reduces the sugar that our liver stores, and reduces the rate that food passes through our stomachs and intestines. All of this means that our blood sugar stays a bit more stable.

When I was put on Lixisenatide, I was told that they put you on it for an initial 6 months, and if during 6 months either your weight reduces or your hba1c (blood sugar) reduces, then they will keep you on it. If neither of these things happen, then they will try another route.
Long term, I'm not sure whether we stay on it for good, whether it wears out it's welcome... I don't know.
But for me personally, it does seem to work.

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep it's working for me aswell, thanks for reminding me it's not insulin. Regards.

anitaw0lf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been on lixesentide now for about three or more years. Initially before I was put on it, I couldn't get my hba1c to below 11.6. This had just been approved and the diabetic clinic tested me on it. I only get nausea in the morning g when I first inject, otherwise my hba1c came down to 6.5 and now its at about 7.5. However my gp now wants me off it , even though my experience has been good, and he comes across as an **** when it comes to ignorance with diabetes. I have three nonbths to get my hba1c down to below 7. I don't know if its possbile, but he's putting me on insulin. I'm terrified. Any hints on how to stop myself of on self sabotage as I'm trying to stick to the low carb plan, and failing miserably.

Have either of you now had them change your medication?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I've been away from this site pretty much since my last post.
I'm on Lixisenatide still, but also on Lantus insulin. The Lixisenatide helped reduce my blood sugar to an extent, but it didn't have a huge effect. However, my GP has been reluctant to take me off it because it is doing "something".

I do know that Lixisenatide is quite expensive and some surgeries see the cost before the benefits. However, if you can have a conversation with your GP and if he does listen, it may be worth reminding him that the method by which Lixi works (slowing the breakdown of food) is exceptionally good for Type 2's with blood sugar control difficulties... it sort of mutes the high that you may get without it.