Local Farm Produce

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Locally there is an abundance of farm activity in my region and I have read many posts on this forum on the benefits of buying locally produced meats and dairy products. Eventually I checked one out just outside Lytham. I bought butter, cream, milk, chicken and meatballs. I will try this produce and weigh it up against produce that we normally buy from the big supermarket chains.

@New Haven Neil The meat and poultry section reminded me of Shoprite on IOM

D

Deleted member 308541

Locally there is an abundance of farm activity in my region and I have read many posts on this forum on the benefits of buying locally produced meats and dairy products. Eventually I checked one out just outside Lytham. I bought butter, cream, milk, chicken and meatballs. I will try this produce and weigh it up against produce that we normally buy from the big supermarket chains.
The majority of the fruit and veggie growers in our region have a honesty stall with produce at the farm gate, these sell mostly second quality produce that the major supermarket buyers reject. Misshapen stuff or blemishes is the main reason for rejection, but it is still good quality and cheaper than the stores.

Meat is not sold at the gate for obvious reasons.

My Lebanese friend is a goat farmer, he sells raw goat milk and cheese at the gate.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@New Haven Neil The meat and poultry section reminded me of Shoprite on IOM

It has to be worth it to stick it to the supermarkets bad practices. We get our fruit and veg from a green grocers that do free delivery! Its mostly local produce and there is no packaging. The quality of the produce mostly knocks the supermarket stuff out of the park as well.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the topic of local farm produce, I am currently working at a top cheese manufacturer in East Lancashire. Hand made farm produced good old British cheeses. :D