1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

London to Paris bike ride

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by taylor marley, Apr 5, 2011.

1. taylor marley

taylor marley Type 2 · Member

Hi, This is my first ever message on this site, so please excuse me if I do it all completely wrong.

I am type 2 and have been for 5 years now. I am on metformin and Byetta. Not well controlled. Anyway enough about me.

\my son is 18 and has just entered his first sponsored bike ride from London to Paris in July. He is raising money for Diabetes UK and needs to raise a mimimum of £1,500. Does anyone have any idea where he can start with his sponsorship?

2. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum, does your son know there is a train that goes from London the Paris now and it only takes 2 hours :wink:

On a more serious note I know a few people who have done marathons and stuff for charity and they found that the Just Giving web site is a great tool for getting sponsorship, its easy to set up a 'Your Page' then come back here and let us know the address and I'm sure some of the members here will sponsor him.

Go to http://www.justgiving.com/ for all the details, all they do is charity web sites and it seems to be the way forward for sponsorship nowadays.

Good luck :D

ps. to show you what the pages look like here is one that has been set up to raise money for the Help For Heroes charity....http://www.justgiving.com/helpforheroes

3. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

4. taylor marley

Hi Sid Bonkers,

Thankyou for your reply, it was a great help. He has set up a website now which is doitforcharity/scamilleri if anyone would like to sponsor him that would be really fantastic. And your right, a train would be much quicker.

5. Sid Bonkers

Hi again, the link you posted to your sons do it for charity page only takes you to the main do it for charity page, have you posted the correct link?

6. taylor marley

7. Sid Bonkers

Thats much clearer, thanks. Donation made :D

Wishing your son good luck

Sid

8. taylor marley

Hi Sid,

That is absolutely fantastic, thank you so much.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Julie and Simon XX

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook