Lone working and reasonable adjustments

Dislikes
SPIDERS (cringe)
Hi all!
I would just like to pick someone's brain over a certain matter. I work in the betting industry for a small semi-independant bookmaker. Last wednesday I received an e-mail stating that because trading was down they will be implimenting new rota structures and shift patterns. A day later another e-mail comes through with a rota for week commencing 7th October, surprise! I'm lone working (I'm used to having another member of staff through the day) Now this is where I'm a bit lost..Area management came to see me on Friday. Told them of my Diabetes and that I take medication which lowers my BG, so am at risk of hypos. I told them I was extremely uncomfortable with lone working of a night (the area I work in has a few nutters) and put it to them what would happen if I had a hypo whilst on my own with a shop full of customers....their reply? "we'll buddy you up with another shop so if you feel unwell you can call them"?????? :shock: How is another shop that is 30 miles away gonna help treat a hypo? So I then put it to them that if I had a hypo would I be allowed to close the shop whilst I treat my hypo? that was met with a stony silence. :roll: I know of the Equality Act and know that my employers have to act upon it. My manager suggested that I work mornings and only do 1 night a week and I am happy with that yet upper management seem to be skirting round the issue. I am going to suggest this new shift pattern with my area manager today. What should I do if they fail to make reasonable adjustments? I'm not with a union. I'm hoping they will know the law and be able to sort it in house. i just want to know where I stand in regards to the law and the Equality act so I can go armed IF needs be, because I think I might have a battle on my hands. Sorry if this post seem a bit all over the place, my brain is all over the place at the mo and to top it all the stress has my BG's going up and I'm now under the weather :x

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There is much talk on this forum regarding the Equality Act and how we're all covered and there must be reasonable adjustment etc but in reality, if you read the act, it's very woolly and it's not easy to pin point any specific help. Ultimately, your employer should not discriminate against your diabetes, allow time off ( not necessarily paid ) for medical appointments and provide an area for you to test etc. the term "reasonable adjustment@ can be interpreted so many ways. If you've been offered mainly day shifts, I eould think this is reasonable. Offering another shop 30miles away is not much help though. It's not an easy answer though. Yes, you're covered under The Act but it's open to interpratation.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mainly dayshift sounds a reasonable adjustment from your employer.

Are you able to test blood when needed?

Are you type 1 or 2?

Hypo's and or hypers really should be minimal and if you are scared of these occuring then to be honest you need to sort your levels out... They should be a rarity and you should be able to do social and work without fear of these...in these situations it is both employer and employee that have a duty of care ... You to stanilise your levels to continue to work, and them to make reasonable adjustment if necessary.. Offering more day shifts seems reasonable.. The bigger bosses may just need a prompt to instigate it...

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Might be wrong and I would stand corrected but as a Type 2 its unlikely that you would hypo.
Having said I wouldn't be happy working alone of an evening esp. if you are female.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depends what medication a T2 is on. Gliclazide for example can cause hypos ? Also, many T2's are on insulin as well.

Sabantha

Don't think it states he's type 2, I lone work and feel fine with that but I know there's a girl in another of our stores who won't because she's diabetic. It's what makes you feel comfortable in your work place.

Dislikes
SPIDERS (cringe)
Hi, Only just got round to reading the reply's. I am Type 2 on Gliclazide no Metformin. I do get the opportunity to test in private and can have breaks when and if I need. I am very well controlled but there have been occasions when I get quite low i.e 4.3 but have always had 'false hypo' symptoms so am sorted within a couple of mins. There's always the fear in the back of my head the 'what if's?' and such. I am female, i know the username is quite misleading :) We had a risk assesment but wont know the outcome till the end of this week. Thanks for your reply's, I appreciate all the help no matter how big or small :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I your case HSE would be concerned about many safety aspects.
hear is just a few.
"Is there a risk of violence
Are women especially at risk if they work alone
Is the person medically fit and suitable to work alone
What happens if the person becomes ill"

Hope your employer comes up with a good compromise for your requirements

Roy. :)

Dislikes
SPIDERS (cringe)
Just had what I hope to be good news. My area manager is pushing for double manning in my shop as there are a few health and safety points that go against lone working. So I get to have someone with me throughout the day this week :D so fingers crossed it all goes according to plan and continues into next week and beyond. :thumbup: