Long Haul Flights, How Do You Calculate Insulin Injections With 12 Hours Time Change?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
I am going on a long haul flight to NZ in December with flight changes, how will I calculate my night insulin while I am in the air and given the change in time difference between the whole journey. I have been really worried about this as surely this will throw my insulin levels all over the place, but then I think other people must be able to manage this problem, my food insulin isn't a problem its just the night one that concerns me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just go without basal for 12 hours and take frequent catch ups with bolus....

D

Deleted Account

I travel a lot and have always "moved" my basal time by 1 - 2 hours per day until it is at the time I want it.
So take it every 10 to 14 hours apart rather than 12 hours.
Then, when I come home, I move it back again.

I know many people adopt @EllieM's approach but I feel uncomfortable without basal on board for so long.
It is a personal preference.

Reactions: EllieM

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What basal do you use? NZ has an approximately 12 hour time difference to the UK, midnight here is midday there, with an hour that flips with UK summer and winter adjustments, so it may be possible to change from taking it in the morning, say, to in the evening, or vice versa.
How long will your flight be? Would it be possible to keep the same UK time of injection for that too?
It partly depends on which basal you use as the profiles differ.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
One trick I learned from a insulin company drug rep who was TID and did frequent travelling well before the days on insulin pumps was: he would wear two watches ( not to look like a dodgy salesperson) but he would keep one watch on 'home time' and the other he would change with each time change.
That way he could keep better track of his insulin doses, keeping his long-acting dose on home time and use short acting for each meal as it came along. Once he reached the new destination he would adjust his basal (long-acting insulin around to the new time) and his meals to local meal times. A 12 hour time difference overall is often easier to cope with than a lesser of greater amount as breakfast and evening meals are around about 12 hours apart. Swopping one for the other can work well.
The reverse of the above was then followed for the trip home.
I hope that helps and please do not wear too many watches on your arms !!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT A LOT REALLY.
Thank's everyone really good advice, I think the two watches sounds good for me, that way I can manage I think. Thank you everyone.

Reactions: Fairygodmother