Long-term travel

scottishkate

Hi everyone,

Well that's me been on the pump for 6 weeks and it's going okay - wouldn't say my numbers are any better but I quite like it as it's much easier to give smaller doses for my low-carb lifestyle!

Anyway, I'm thinking about going out to Oz in January for a year and wondered if anyone had any experience of taking a pump abroad for a year? Any ideas whether my pump supplies will be covered by this medicare thing?

I went traveling around India years ago but I was injecting then and just took lots of insulin with me but I'd rather not take 12 months of pump supplies with me this time :roll:

Katie
:D

malky

Hi another scot trying to escape the nasty weather :) i am not a pump user, type 1 pen user, but when i looked into going to australia and found that supplies like needles test strips etc. were subsided but the certain diabetes associations for each state and you had to register which these to be able to get the subsidies i would have thought this would be the same with you pump supplies but dont take my word for it as we know what kind of lottery it is if you get stuff in this country never mind another. So i wouldnt be surprised if it is going to cost a good bit. The best bet is to contact diabetes australia and they will provide you with all the info you need. They were very helpful when i emailed them.