1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LONG TERM USE OF DIABETES DRUG METFORMIN MAY CAUSE B12 DEFICIENCY.

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by CRPetersen, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CRPetersen

CRPetersen Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@CRPetersen - Thank You, I found it interesting reading the article.:)

3. CRPetersen

Welcome

• Like Like x 2
  4. khkwong

khkwong Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This article do not have sufficient research to backup the claim. I believe it might be true also. Just ask vitamin B tablets from the doctor when u r going for your nect appointment . No point to mention this article to your doctor.

5. CRPetersen

If you click on the links it will give you the research. As for vitamin b 12, you can just buy the supplement if you wish. Point of talking with your doctor is to see if you are low.

6. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@CRPetersen - Hi. My GP tests my B12 on a yearly basis as I have been taking Metformin for 14 years, and my B12 is always OK. I am tested every 3 months for Ferritin Levels due to having Aneamia, I am prescribed Ferrous Fumarate 2 a day, but only take 1 a day. Got my recent test results yesterday and my Ferritin level is now 23. And my GP is pleased that I have now introduced eggs in my diet.

7. CRPetersen

That's interesting, I don't remember it ever being tested for me until I specifically asked for it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook