1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Looking for a supermarket dessert that is the dessert equivalent of the Lidl High Protein

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by tubamanandy, Jan 15, 2018.

1. tubamanandy

tubamanandy · Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a dessert that can be purchased in most supermarkets that isn't too high on carbs/sugar ? (PS. I really dont like yoghurt)

What I'm really looking for is the dessert equivalent of the Lidl High Protein Roll

2. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oppo ice cream 3.1 g carb and 37 cals per scoop - got mine from Sainsbury’s I’ve got vanilla but they have 2 other flavours with a bit more carb. It’s lovely and I find one scoop of vanilla - with a bit of high percentage cocoa choc grated into it - dosent put up my sugars. Plus it’s creamy yum worth a try if you like ice cream

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AdamJames

AdamJames Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can only think of Hartley's Jelly. Practically no carbs in some of them. Artificial sweeteners. I don't like them, however. Bought lots of flavours once.

Also, not really a dessert, but of course their is 85% cocoa chocolate. It can be as low as 18g carbs per 100g, so a decent size portion (25g) can be 4.5g carbs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AdamJames

AdamJames Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Of course there's always a pot of double cream and some berries. I guess that's not the sort of thing you mean however!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ixi1429

ixi1429 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried the Arla Blueberry Quark desert - quite enjoyable/ 6.5g carbs per 100g. I think I picked this up in Sainsbury's so it is probably available in other superstores

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biggles2

Biggles2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry @tubmanandy, but I can't recommend any low-carb supermarket desserts as I have not had personal experience with anything other than yoghurt.
    Have you checked out the Diet Doctor's Keto Desserts page:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes/desserts
    Some of them look great and not too difficult to whip up!;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A no sugar jelly mix. Just make your own jelly desert with added low carb berries such as raspberries and/or strawberries and top with double cream.
    Or, if you have the time and inclination make your own low carb, no sugar, ice cream. It's not difficult and takes a little time, but it's nice to be able to tuck into a really sweet tasting treat knowing it won't push one's BG up.

8. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Best to make your own Keto low carb cakes, ice cream, chocolates etc.

Just made a homemade low carb carrot cake and it’s delicious!

Lots of recipes on the diet doctor website and YouTube!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/desserts

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found desserts were the simplest part of a LC diet to deal with, I just don't have them, no trying to find low carb versions, just a simple rule..... no thanks. I don't miss them if I don't see anyone else eating them. If I am in a restaurant and everyone else is having desserts I have cheese.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tubamanandy

Thanks for that one - just what I was looking for

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Low carb keto cheesecake-

12. Incyb

Incyb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whey Hey high protein ice cream from Tesco is very low carb. It's sweetened with xylitol.

13. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I second the votes for Oppo ice cream, Hartleys 10 cal jellies and strawberries and cream!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gannet

Gannet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I pour the made-up jelly over frozen berries. Sets in minutes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I also prefer DIY desserts. Berries with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt, DIY gooseberry fool in season, cranberries cooked with orange juice, zest & spices with yoghurt in winter. Blackberry and apple baked with a little cinnamon and butter, with or without a chocolate hazelnut topping... Cream and/or full fat cream cheese whipped up with various additions and flavours - coffee and walnuts, cocoa with orange or peppermint essence, or some toasted chopped hazelnuts, or plain with vanilla, coconut cream with lime and ginger,... DIY low carb cheesecake, shortcake, or muffins with or without various flavourings and additions. e.g. blueberries or above cranberry mix, or as mini coffee & walnut cakes or carrot cakes with pecans and a little grated carrot. Or simply a piece or 2 of high percentage dark choccolate to finishyour meal off with.

Definitely Oppo (currently on offer again at Waitrose), current favourite is the salted caramel - for a special treat with Sukrin gold syrup & salted pecans , and although more expensive you can buy all 4 flavours in mini single portion size tubs too. And although I've not done this: frozen berries and thick cream can be whizzed up for instant fruity ice cream!

Most of them are quick and easy to make just needing a little low carb creativity, and IMO much better low carb wise than shop bought desserts. :p

Robbity

choc_cheesecake.jpg low_carb_pud.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tubamanandy

Some fabulous ideas there everyone - keep em coming although I'm leaning towards making my own

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Gannet

Gannet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Claudi and Fin frozen yoghurt mini lollies. Under 4g carbs each. Available at Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

Tesco do a vanilla double cream in there finest range which tastes like melted ice cream

19. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Homemade ice cream. Invested in an ice cream maker and planted a strawberry bed and raspberries. Plenty of cream and sweetner of choice. Also cheesecake with flaxseed base and cream cheese and Fage mix topping with choice of berries. Alldayidreamaboutfood chocolate cake with 100% chocolate ganache filling/topping - my birthday treat every June doesn't spike me!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook