Looking for Recipes for Sugar and Sweetener Free Ice Cream

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made some ice cream tonight with 70 percent dark chocolate, greek yoghurt and double cream. It tastes great and has a good texture, but the yoghurt gives it a really citrussy taste, which is fine, but not what I was after.

I am thinking of trying to make a custard based ice cream with egg yolks, double cream and vanilla or dark chocolate for flavouring - has anyone had any experience of making something like this?

So far I have read that the sugar in traditional custard based ice creams is there for texture, to stop the formation of ice crystals, as well as to add sweetness. Is there any other ingredient I could add which would perform the same function, perhaps alcohol?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made this in the past, both as lollies and just put in an old ice cream tub.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm doing lchf and found out that 10% fat strained greek yoghurt mixed 50-50 with extra thick cream and part frozen then whisked up does the trick. It doesn't taste yoghurty. I do have an off switch for fats so don't overeat on this.

Reactions: AllieRainbow

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use clotted cream and double cream in equal measures , mixing them together with whatever flavourings you want, half freezing then whizzing up till light then freezing through makes a nice ice cream, clotted cream is much sweeter naturally so no sweetener needed......a little goes a long way as its very moreish.........:hungry:

Reactions: AllieRainbow

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am thinking of trying to make a custard based ice cream with egg yolks, double cream and vanilla or dark chocolate for flavouring - has anyone had any experience of making something like this?
So far I have read that the sugar in traditional custard based ice creams is there for texture, to stop the formation of ice crystals, as well as to add sweetness. Is there any other ingredient I could add which would perform the same function, perhaps alcohol?
I bought three 600ml tubs of reduced price single cream in supermarket yesterday to make ice cream. Looking at some online recipes it seems that it is the egg yolks which prevent the ice crystals forming. I'll be making the first batch this morning, (probably vanilla) using Erithritol as sweetener.