1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Looking for Recipes for Sugar and Sweetener Free Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by AllieRainbow, Jan 28, 2019.

1. AllieRainbow

AllieRainbow Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have made some ice cream tonight with 70 percent dark chocolate, greek yoghurt and double cream. It tastes great and has a good texture, but the yoghurt gives it a really citrussy taste, which is fine, but not what I was after.

I am thinking of trying to make a custard based ice cream with egg yolks, double cream and vanilla or dark chocolate for flavouring - has anyone had any experience of making something like this?

So far I have read that the sugar in traditional custard based ice creams is there for texture, to stop the formation of ice crystals, as well as to add sweetness. Is there any other ingredient I could add which would perform the same function, perhaps alcohol?

2. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have made this in the past, both as lollies and just put in an old ice cream tub.

3. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm doing lchf and found out that 10% fat strained greek yoghurt mixed 50-50 with extra thick cream and part frozen then whisked up does the trick. It doesn't taste yoghurty. I do have an off switch for fats so don't overeat on this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use clotted cream and double cream in equal measures , mixing them together with whatever flavourings you want, half freezing then whizzing up till light then freezing through makes a nice ice cream, clotted cream is much sweeter naturally so no sweetener needed......a little goes a long way as its very moreish.........:hungry:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I bought three 600ml tubs of reduced price single cream in supermarket yesterday to make ice cream. Looking at some online recipes it seems that it is the egg yolks which prevent the ice crystals forming. I'll be making the first batch this morning, (probably vanilla) using Erithritol as sweetener.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook