Looking for support

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Sallybear here. I have long suspected I have type 2 Diabetes, and finally managed to get the guts to see my GP. I had a blood test yesterday and was told it would take 1-2 weeks for the test results. They took 5 different bottles of blood to test for all sorts, it was a fasting test, and they called me early this morning to say I needed to come and see my GP urgently due to my blood glucose levels. I have an appointment in the morning and I am pretty sure I know what he is going to say but it doesn't help how scared I feel. I don't want to have diabetes but at the same time, if that is what I have, then perhaps once controlled I won't feel so old. I'm only 36 and I feel 66. I am always so tired with no energy whatsoever and perhaps now I might actually start to feel normal.

Anyway I know how selfish I am being just coming here and ranting but I can't really talk to my family as my parents are dealing with Cancer at the moment and I don't want to burden them with anything to be honest, I thought somewhere like this might be better.

Hope everyone is ok, and sorry for just coming here and talking about 'me'.

Oh, and I used to work for Abbot Diabetes Care, and we all were given blood testing machines to practice on as part of our training, we worked nights in a call centre speaking with Canadians, and we used to test each other, my colleagues were between 3-5 and I was 16-19 so it was pretty obvious something was not too right. Lowest I ever measured was 7.5 and this was early morning.

Fraddycat

Hi Sally, welcome! You have come to the right place! We have all been through that evenign before the scary appointment, I completely know how you feel. I cried in front of my doctor when he told me. But knowledge is power, once you know you can start to do something about it.

There is loads of diet and health advice available on this forum, ask lots of questions and get involved and you will soon make positive changes.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Hello Sallybear ... Pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't be scared. No-one wants diabetes but honestly, if you do have it then getting diagnosed will be a blessing not a curse because you'll get on track and know what you're dealing with. Please make sure you come back to the forum because you won't find a better place for information and support.

I'm 59 but I've felt like an 80 year old for the past 10 years and I also cried and then I flung my arms around my GP when she told me 'the bad news'. I was sooooooooooooo pleased to at last have a diagnosis because I knew something was wrong for a long, long time.

I came straight to this forum in August and I've learned so much from it that had I waited for the NHS to tell me, I'd have waited FOREVER.

Please come back and let us know how you get on at the docs. :thumbup:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Sallybear !

Don't worry about talking about yourself - you won't get very helpful answers if you don't.
Daisy will be along with her advice for newbies, so try to take it all in, and keep coming back with any questions.
Do let us know how you get on tomorrow !

Geoff

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sally and welcome to the forum :)

Here you will receive all the support you need and find many friends. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will answer you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Salllybear

I am new to the forum as well and came on looking for inspiration/advice.

It looks like a really friendly place and has some very useful information.

I hope your doing ok.

Karen

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Karen.G. said:
Hi Salllybear

I am new to the forum as well and came on looking for inspiration/advice.

It looks like a really friendly place and has some very useful information.

I hope your doing ok.

Karen

Hello Karen ... and welcome to the forum too. You'll find you've come to the right place and you can take a look at the info that Daisy has posted above and tell us a bit more about yourself too. Ask as many questions as you like, there are plenty of people to answer them and it also helps others like myself to learn more about diabetes too. :)

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, back from my weeks holiday. Diagnosis was pretty much what I had expected, Diabetes Type II. They have put me on Metformin but it really disagrees with me so I stopped taking it in order to enjoy my holiday. An hour after taking the tablet, my temperature went really high and my face was beetroot. Then awful stomach pains and nausea and eventually vomiting and the other too. Lovely, is this for life? I took them for a few days, and I took 1 instead of 2 a day, as it was suggested by the doctor if I had any side effects to do this. Anyway what now? Do I just start taking them again?

Very confused.

But relieved that my hair loss has been down to something actual rather than me just getting old? I love my hair and hopefully once my diabetes is under control It will stop falling out.

Apparently I will get an appointment with another doctor soon who will give me some kind of check over and go into more details.

Thanks for the words of support, it means a lot.

Oh, and my fasting glucose was 17.6? And my cholesterol was 7.9? Not sure what that means.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sallybear said:
Hi all, back from my weeks holiday. Diagnosis was pretty much what I had expected, Diabetes Type II. They have put me on Metformin but it really disagrees with me so I stopped taking it in order to enjoy my holiday. An hour after taking the tablet, my temperature went really high and my face was beetroot. Then awful stomach pains and nausea and eventually vomiting and the other too. Lovely, is this for life? I took them for a few days, and I took 1 instead of 2 a day, as it was suggested by the doctor if I had any side effects to do this. Anyway what now? Do I just start taking them again?

Very confused.

But relieved that my hair loss has been down to something actual rather than me just getting old? I love my hair and hopefully once my diabetes is under control It will stop falling out.

Apparently I will get an appointment with another doctor soon who will give me some kind of check over and go into more details.

Thanks for the words of support, it means a lot.

Oh, and my fasting glucose was 17.6? And my cholesterol was 7.9? Not sure what that means.

Hi Sally ... sorry to hear you're having a rough time with Metformin. Are you taking it with,or straight after food? It shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach. If you're not already on it, ask your doctor for the slow release version - Metformin SR - you only take it once a day WITH FOOD. Some people do better with that version than the 3 a day type.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Grace, it really disagrees with me, so hoping to speak to the pharmacist tomorrow they have promised to phone me as part of the new medicines program and I will ask if there is a slow release option. I did take it either with or after food but I lost my apetite and could not drink anything (alcoholic) which on your hols is a bit poo, but long term not the worst side effect, I am overweight and although have mysteriously have lost almost 2 stone over the last few months, I am sure a bit of lack of appetite would not go amiss.

I'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sallybear said:
Thanks Grace, it really disagrees with me, so hoping to speak to the pharmacist tomorrow they have promised to phone me as part of the new medicines program and I will ask if there is a slow release option. I did take it either with or after food but I lost my apetite and could not drink anything (alcoholic) which on your hols is a bit poo, but long term not the worst side effect, I am overweight and although have mysteriously have lost almost 2 stone over the last few months, I am sure a bit of lack of appetite would not go amiss.

I'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yes it is an appetite suppressant ... that's why it helps with weight loss although it hasn't helped me much in that department ... I've only lost half a stone since August. :( But I didn't get any of the nasty side effects with it, so I think perhaps that's why it hasn't worked that way for me.

Are you eating carbs with your meals because I'm on low carb eating but I've noticed when I do eat carbs, I do get a bit nauseous so perhaps Metformin works that way if you eat carbs but doesn't bother you if you don't eat them.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did wonder about the carbs, most people do use carbs as a bulk out option of their food, such as mash or chips or jacket spuds etc, or pasta or rice, so to cut them out can be unusual but easy to get used to. I haven't had a proper consultation since being diagnosed, still waiting for that appointment and have an appointment at some point with a dietician so hopefully things will sort themselves out but I did think about low fat and low carb not effecting the tablets as much,

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Felt very unwell last night, ended up back at the GPs today, have now been given something called Gliclazide and a blood testing kit, GP thinks I might have something called Lada? Anyway he is concerned that my blood sugar is still so high so at least I don't have to take the Metformin and going back to see him on Friday. I thought he said Lardy Diabetes and it made me giggle. At least I still have my sense of humour.

A

Anonymous

Good evening and a belated welcome Sallybear,

i to am very new to this diabetes and i was scared.

I joined this site and found some useful tips and info from some very nice people on here.

With luck Sallybear, you will get the same too :D

andy