Looking to help other type 1s

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I have been diabetic for close to ten years and like most of you guys I have struggled with the highs and lows/conflicting advice over the years. However I have done a lot of studying into diabetes itself and had coaching/guidance from several other type 1 diabetics who work within the health industry and also fitness and for the last 4-5 years I have maintained an hba1c in the 5's. My diet philosophy has changed as I previously ate a very low carb diet with good control but now eat a high cab diet with low fat this has given me great control and improved insulin sensitivity as I have started strength training the last year or so.

I am looking to help other type one diabetics for free with some online coaching ideally 1-3 people. I would look to improve BG control, improve insulin sensitivity and general increase in energy as well as teaching them how to learn about their body's. It pains me to see a lot of people struggling with their control and feeling trapped etc.

Thanks,

Kieran

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps the better approach is to share your knowledge throughout this forum in hopes it may help more than 1-3 people?

To start, I would love to hear more about your philosophy behind eating a high carb/low fat diet and what improvements you saw in comparison to your previous diet.

Reactions: 2 people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
experienced improved insulin sensitivity massively before hand I was around 1:15/18 I:C ratio when eating a low carb but this has went up to around 1:30 sometimes higher, improved energy levels and athletic performance, improved concentration etc
biggest part is just being able to eat better foods such as fruits and sweet potato and not break out in a sweat at the prospect of carbs

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think as a type one we can only really serve one master in regards to our energy systems/pathways so it either has to be a ketogenic/low carb diet or a higher carb low fat diet... have found when you try to eat moderate amounts of each you end up with erratic/unpredicatble blood sugars

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am looking to help other type one diabetics for free with some online coaching ideally 1-3 people. I would look to improve BG control, improve insulin sensitivity and general increase in energy as well as teaching them how to learn about their body's. It pains me to see a lot of people struggling with their control and feeling trapped etc.

Thanks,

Kieran
You could be on very thin ice advertising your services for a medical condition esp. if you have no qualifications to do so.

Reactions: 6 people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rather just hav
You could be on very thin ice advertising your services for a medical condition esp. if you have no qualifications to do so.
rather just have an open discussion and try to learn from people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps the better approach is to share your knowledge throughout this forum in hopes it may help more than 1-3 people?

To start, I would love to hear more about your philosophy behind eating a high carb/low fat diet and what improvements you saw in comparison to your previous diet.
How is your control? what is your style of eating etc?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rather just have an open discussion and try to learn from people
I think that's a solid outlook and that's why this forum exists. We each bring to the table a set of different experiences, perspectives, and opinions. Feel free to share yours in an attempt to help other people develop and make their own opinions.

I wouldn't try to put too much focus on helping a concentrated number of people. As CarbsRok mentioned, that's probably best left to medication professionals.

To further the discussion, I've heard that "Carb sensitivity" is greatly increased with low-carb diets so I can definitely understand some of your successes in making diet changes. However, I have to wonder why you had limitations with your previous low-carb approach. I do occasionally reach the physical limits of a carb-restricted diet, but those occasions are rare and it's only after very intense and prolonged exercise sessions. I also never seem to have issues with my concentration or ability to focus.

However, some people do respond very poorly to carb-restrictive diets and I know a few personally. It's a diet that isn't for everyone and the barriers are more significant to some people.

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's a solid outlook and that's why this forum exists. We each bring to the table a set of different experiences, perspectives, and opinions. Feel free to share yours in an attempt to help other people develop and make their own opinions.

I wouldn't try to put too much focus on helping a concentrated number of people. As CarbsRok mentioned, that's probably best left to medication professionals.

To further the discussion, I've heard that "Carb sensitivity" is greatly increased with low-carb diets so I can definitely understand some of your successes in making diet changes. However, I have to wonder why you had limitations with your previous low-carb approach. I do occasionally reach the physical limits of a carb-restricted diet, but those occasions are rare and it's only after very intense and prolonged exercise sessions. I also never seem to have issues with my concentration or ability to focus.

However, some people do respond very poorly to carb-restrictive diets and I know a few personally. It's a diet that isn't for everyone and the barriers are more significant to some people.

thanks for the response, I had great control on a low carb diet but I didn't feel great in the gym and had a real anxiety about travelling eating out etc. Low carb definitely works for type one there is no denying it, but I didn't see the longevity of it after doing it for a few years

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

sure your body can operate without carbs, but glycogen is the preferred fuel source for the body and for athletic performance etc

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How is your control? what is your style of eating etc?
-My 90 day average from my Accu-Chek Aviva Expert says 98 mg/dL or roughly 5.4 mmol/L (I'm in the US).
-My Dexcom G5 report estimates my next A1C to be 4.7% (although I think that's incredibly optimistic).
-My biggest control issues are with respect to dawn phenomenon and it's the only time I ever see myself above 8 mmol/L (although even that is rare).
-My current dietary approach to eat around 3000 calories/day with less than 200 of that coming from carbohydrates (<50g). My protein intake is extremely high (In the 200-300g range) which is unusual for most.

To answer your question, I'd consider that well-controlled (at least for now). However, I have to be extremely careful as my insulin needs change significantly based on what I'm eating, when I'm eating, how much I exercise, what types of exercise I'm doing, etc.

There are some days I need as little as 5 total units (basal/bolus) and other days I need more than 30.

Reactions: 2 people

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
-My 90 day average from my Accu-Chek Aviva Expert says 98 mg/dL or roughly 5.4 mmol/L (I'm in the US).
-My Dexcom G5 report estimates my next A1C to be 4.7% (although I think that's incredibly optimistic).
-My biggest control issues are with respect to dawn phenomenon and it's the only time I ever see myself above 8 mmol/L (although even that is rare).
-My current dietary approach to eat around 3000 calories/day with less than 200 of that coming from carbohydrates (<50g). My protein intake is extremely high (In the 200-300g range) which is unusual for most.

To answer your question, I'd consider that well-controlled (at least for now). However, I have to be extremely careful as my insulin needs change significantly based on what I'm eating, when I'm eating, how much I exercise, what types of exercise I'm doing, etc.

There are some days I need as little as 5 total units (basal/bolus) and other days I need more than 30.
so lots of fat/protein meals? how long ypu been diagnosed? your pancreas still function?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so lots of fat/protein meals? how long ypu been diagnosed? your pancreas still function?
Yep, lots of fat/protein meals spread out pretty evenly.

I've been officially diagnosed since September 2015, but my problems first showed up in January 2015 (had a fasting glucose level of 7.8 mmol/l).

Yes, I do still have some natural insulin production although I'm not sure as to how much (my c-peptide 5 months ago was .7 with "normal" being .8-3.1. I have no idea what it is now (definitely lower, but certainly not zero). That's why I said I was well-controlled "For now" in my previous post. It's still too soon to gauge how things will be for me in 5-10 years.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Kieran88.

I have recently gone gluten free and lactose free (Im really fun at dinner parties lol) and from this ive lost 16lbs since nov. I have roughly another stone to lose but dont feel ive enough energy for exercise. I really do want to get fit and lose weight but im scared of hypos after exercise especially at night. Ive been type 1 for 5 years but any advice would be welcome on what could help me kick start some healthier living!

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kieran88.

I have recently gone gluten free and lactose free (Im really fun at dinner parties lol) and from this ive lost 16lbs since nov. I have roughly another stone to lose but dont feel ive enough energy for exercise. I really do want to get fit and lose weight but im scared of hypos after exercise especially at night. Ive been type 1 for 5 years but any advice would be welcome on what could help me kick start some healthier living!
how is your control? why no gluten and lactose? are you intolerant? what is your current diet and insulin usage like?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No gluten and lactose cos im intolerant. Not allergic but def dont react well! Diet is mostly spuds, gluten free bread, veg, fruit, chicken, bacon and some wee treats like ginger biscuits. Control is pretty good and my carb ratio is 1:10

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No gluten and lactose cos im intolerant. Not allergic but def dont react well! Diet is mostly spuds, gluten free bread, veg, fruit, chicken, bacon and some wee treats like ginger biscuits. Control is pretty good and my carb ratio is 1:10
what type of exercise do you do? whats your height/weight? what do you struggle with the most?

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im 5ft 4 and 11.5st....Id like to get to 10 ideally but may be unrealistic! I literally don't do exercise. I walk my dog and thats about it! I leave the house at 7.30 and and I'm not back until 6.30pm everyday so I just can't summon the energy or want for exercise :-( that's def what I struggle with! Energy!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Kieran88.

I'm the same too. Lactose and gluten free. Size 8 and struggle to keep weight on!! T1 30+ years.

I used to eat a lot of salads, then added on avocado, olives and oily fish to this.. On great advice from here. I also only ate one meal a day.

Now due to other meds I have to eat 3 small meals aday and this has pushed my carbs up a little as I have melon with lactose free yogurt or kiwi with the same yogurt. Same old salads in evenings. Breakfast I have avocado souffle or pesto/egg stuffed pepper.

I also low fodmap with my food. So restrict even further that I do not have anything with onion or garlic either. Also I have to restrict any calcium intake at all solely between 9-5 each day!

I also make quite a few foods from Amelia Freers book.

Exercise, currently for me this is quite restricted but I used to go to the gym and I still have to do at least 4 lots of 30min arm and chest exercises daily.

Still love my food and there are amazing foods to make if you have time...