Loose bowels

lindisfel

Expert
Having problems with loose bowels since I went very low carb.
Meds probably don't help.
It is not a problem as long as I can have a loo with "Derek" on the door! :)
Any suggestions.. I will have drink more water since I am losing a lot of fluid as well.
Any thoughts?
D.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That could be any number of issues but I'd up the water for starters. If it continues, you know where to go ..... to GP.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb can initially cause electrolyte imbalances if you aren't having enough salt. I'd start drinking bouillion to replace the electrolytes. Especially important to replenish electrolytes if you're going to the loo too much.

lindisfel

Expert
Low carb can initially cause electrolyte imbalances if you aren't having enough salt. I'd start drinking bouillion to replace the electrolytes. Especially important to replenish electrolytes if you're going to the loo too much.
Thanks indy.
I have no problems with low sodium, my blood sodium is checked every two weeks with my potassium.
I have primary aldosteronism (Conn's Syndrome) and retain sodium due to having 20x the normal amount of aldosterone in my blood.
It also, most probably, caused my T2D because it damages all tissue that has aldosterone receptors by causing fibrosis.
I now take eplerenone to stop the receptors taking in aldosterone. Aldosterone causes sodium to go into tissue and potassium to 'leech' away thus putting BP up.
regards
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear this!
No suggestions, I am afraid, except to agree with the others that plenty to drink is a good idea.

Reactions: 2 people