Losing a few pounds...no insulin

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
By deliberately not taking my insulin. I know this is bad, but, how bad? I have gained 10 pounds and it is getting me down. I have no will power when it comes to lie carb, especially when work is so stressful.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, not taking your insulin is dangerous as it is almost certainly causing raised blood sugar. Insulin only makes you gain weight if you are are eating too much of the wrong thing and the only solution and to remain healthy is to keep portion sizes sensible and keep the carbs right down. Currently I think you are on the road to ruin

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to take your insulin @Postitnote it's dangerous to not take it.

If you are worried about weight then watch your carbs but you can eat what you like within reason as long as you take the proper insulin for it, thats the important bit.

You are just going to get unwell if you don't take your insulin.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Christmas just seems the worst time for temptation!

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have just had a rubbish few months. BG all over the place, then discovered I was pregnant, couldn't get my sugar under control, then lost the baby, I am told it wasn't because of my poor control but I wonder. Now am feeling fat and frumpy. And my husband is smothering me with his fussing. I know it is only because he cares and is worried but I wish he would just treat me normally.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Christmas just seems the worst time for temptation!

I can understand that @Postitnote

I'm going on my work Xmas meal very soon and no doubt my BG will be high later but I will just have to take the insulin I feel is correct and sort it out later if I get it wrong.

You are Type 1 which in some respects means that although you can't go crazy and have everything, provided you take insulin properly you can have your wee treats without worrying too much.

How long have you not been taking your insulin?

Do you never take it or are you sporadic at taking it?

Nobody on this Forum will judge you, but people do like to help you.

Have you got a copy of Think Like a Pancreas? It is a really good book for getting you sorted out.

You're right, it sounds like your husband just cares for you and wants the best for you. Maybe you need to chat with him about how he could help you out and what level of input you want from him.

My Wife helps me out alot with my Diabetes which is a great help and motivator.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just woke up this morning and thought sod it. It's nice to come here and write these things down. Cathartic. If I tell my husband these secret thoughts, he would freak out.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just woke up this morning and thought sod it. It's nice to come here and write these things down. Cathartic. If I tell my husband these secret thoughts, he would freak out.

If it's a case of just not taking it today then thats not so bad, everybody has off days. Diabetes is a difficult thing and something you need to be on top of at all times.

You are right, this forum is great for getting things out in the open.

Partners are great at understanding etc but they also find it hard to understand what you go through on a day to day basis.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

P.s. Also just had to look up the definition of Cathartic.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been scaring myself straight reading about cerebral edema

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been scaring myself straight reading about cerebral edema

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, just try your best to keep your BG in check.

Just take little steps, explain your feelings to your husband as he can help you.

Also you will get great help here.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By deliberately not taking my insulin. I know this is bad, but, how bad? I have gained 10 pounds and it is getting me down. I have no will power when it comes to lie carb, especially when work is so stressful.
you may need to see your diabetic and/or natal team, you may need some counseling after your loss, to get you feelings out and have a good cry, you may be eating your emotions.

or there is a diabetic care line that you can phone anonymously if you want
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline

you can short cut and just not take insulin, make yourself sick so you lose weight..or you can do it safely and cut your carbs.
as you would know, you control your weight by the amount of carbs you eat, less carb less insulin less weight.

the good news is on low carb higher fats, you get to have cream in your coffee and still lose weight, your bloods can be more stable :)
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear about what you've been through - sounds like you've had a pretty rough time. Don't be so hard on yourself though, not taking your insulin is literally lethal and will get you down if your sugars are running high. Getting them back to normal will help with getting your weight back down as well as improving your mood.

Yes Christmas is all about temptation, but surround yourself with cheese and nuts !! lol this is how I am going to get past all the temptations as well as making sure I get my quick acting insulin doses right, drinking lots of water to keep cleansed and coming on here for support if I need a boost from those who won't criticise or judge me.

Get it off your chest and get back on your insulin hun - you will feel alot better when you get on top of it, PM me if you need a chat x

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your body needs insulin as it stimulates the cells to allow glucose to enter to provide energy, the consequences of not taking your insulin injections is DKA, which in turn can be life threatening.

If your struggling have a look at the following which is an on-line version of the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume you are skipping insulin so that your sugars rise, so that you go into ketosis - which would cause you to drop weight rapidly (i lost 30lbs in 3 months before my diagnosis).
This is a VERY bad idea.
I have seen numerous websites stating that organ and cell damage occur when blood sugars rise above 7.8mmol/L. I do not know the extent of the damage it would cause but every time day you allow your BS to rise above that mark you are certainly shortening your life, and potentially causing kidney, heart, nerve or eye damage :/

Sure, you'll lose weight now, but as soon as you get back on insulin you'll likely put it all back on unless you change your lifestyle.

The best thing you can do for weight lose is count calories, eat less then you burn each day and you will loose weight, there is no reason to bring your blood sugars to a dangerous level. You can maintain them in the normal range while on a diet anyway so why risk it ?

This may seem effective, but from experience you'll put all that weight right back on, and its not a sustainable lifestyle, it will almost certainly end poorly.

Reactions: 10 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A diabetic friend of mine did this on and off for years.

29 two young children, qualifies as blind , delayed stomach emptying, neuropathy and her kidneys are on the way out, seriously damaged her health and life expectancy for the sake of vanity. She cries about the stupidity of having done so all the time.

She did look alright in a bikini though for a while, but a harsh price to pay in my opinion.

I cannot really believe you'd even consider it, the risks far outweigh any benefits (which will be short lived unless you change lifestyle and eating habits anyway)

If you want to lose weight, do it the hard way by exercising self control, calorie counting and exercise, it will come off slowly and steadily if you follow some simple rules. You'll also won't have the guilt and self loathing apparent from weight loss caused by damaging your body, instead you'll probably have some self respect and feel better about yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are a couple of 30yr olds that are having kidney transplants here and have told their stories...
but it's genetic programing evolution of the species ....youngens are 10ft tall and bullet proof and it always happens to someone else and only next week is important

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's said that when you go toilet you excrete your calories if theres no insulin present in your blood so in theory that should help you lose weight, i know as i've tried it and it works, but im already underweight as it is.