Lost 1 1/2 stone and bloods now 43mmol. Metformin?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Had my bloods done and was amazed that my reading was 43 mmol.
It was much higher and I was put on 2 Metformin per day.
I also low carb. This type of eating suits me down to the ground and I am happy to be on this 'diet'.

Questions.

If my bloods carry on falling will I still be Diabetic?

Will my doctor take me off Metformin?
I didn't mind being put on Metformin as I have heard that it aids weight loss. And I have lost 20lbs in a year.

How much did the Metformin have to do with my blood results and my weight loss?

Apologies for all the questions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my bloods done and was amazed that my reading was 43 mmol.
It was much higher and I was put on 2 Metformin per day.
I also low carb. This type of eating suits me down to the ground and I am happy to be on this 'diet'.

Questions.

If my bloods carry on falling will I still be Diabetic?

Will my doctor take me off Metformin?
I didn't mind being put on Metformin as I have heard that it aids weight loss. And I have lost over 20lbs in a year.

How much did the Metformin have to do with my blood results and my weight loss?

Apologies for all the questions...
Answers
Yes you will be a well controlled diabetic but still a diabetic. Your body is very unlikely to be able to tolerate your old eating habits so you will need the new lifestyle.

Your doctor is unlikely to take you off Metformin unless the tablet presents you with a difficulty in which case you can ask to come off them if you wish to.

The major part of the improvement is down to diet and lifestyle. Metformin is not a powerful drug so any contribution it makes to weight loss etc. is not great.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Answers
Yes you will be a well controlled diabetic but still a diabetic. Your body is very unlikely to be able to tolerate your old eating habits so you will need the new lifestyle.

Your doctor is unlikely to take you off Metformin unless the tablet presents you with a difficulty in which case you can ask to come off them if you wish to.

The major part of the improvement is down to diet and lifestyle. Metformin is not a powerful drug so any contribution it makes to weight loss etc. is not great.

Congratulations. I would venture to say most of your success is down to your own lifestyle changes and that's brilliant:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
That is all good to know.

Thanks Squire & Kevin...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took myself off Metformin, after my HbA1c went into the non-diabetic range, rather than asking my GP, although he did not argue when he found out, and my DSN also agreed.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@zolabud
Congratulations on the weight-loss and improvement in BG Levels.

The weight-loss will be down to your diet rather than the Metformin. I took myself off the Metformin when my Fasting levels were in the normal range as an experiment. They continued to remain low so I just stopped taking it which my GP was fine with when I did tell him. I continued to loose a lot of weight after I stopped taking the metformin. I would suggest you ask your Doctor if you can stop taking it.

I have just read a post on here where @jaym has been told by his doctor that his type 2 is cured and if his next test confirms those levels he will be taken off the Diabetic register

Cheers