loving the pump

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so its been a week and no we havent had perfect results but they r getting there today for example we started with a blood result of 13.2 not perfect but better than it has been then lunch was 3.6 then after school 14.8 did a correction and had a result of 4.6 before tea then just now before bed 5.6 so 2 fab results have let him go to bed on it but will check at 10 and see what the result is then before deciding whether to leave him for the night or give him something.

its been a week full of ups and downs and a tiredness i havent had since dylan was new born but can see a light at the end of the tunnel after a weekend of basal testing. now need to let things settle for a few days and see if we need any jiggling after that :D :D

thanks to everyone who has offered us support and advice or just kind words recently it is appreciated

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great to hear how happy you are with the pump :) I feel exactly the same about changing to the pump, best thing we ever did. If anyone wanted to take the pump off us they'd have a fight on their hands, wouldn't give it up for anything (except a cure for T1) :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
lol its amazing how free u feel, no injections when he wants to eat.

last night is another example he was 18.5, on injections i would have left him as giving injection would have woken him and he would of gone hypo in the night as he dropped loads throughout last night i made a correction and altho it didnt bring him down to where he should be by morning he was 13.2 so had made a difference of 5mmol never would of done it on MDI

hes doing alot himself no cannula changes yet but hes doing boluses and can disconnect and reconnect himself for pe etc

im so proud of him

anna marie

Hazza

Well done Anna Marie, Dylan may still be a bit high in the mornings, suggesting that his night time basals are a touch low, but with a bit more tweeking this should come down.
Like Sophia, we would never give the pump up now.
Lily went to a birthday party on Sunday and we had to guesstimate the amount of carbs that she was eating, (home made cakes and icecream and jelly etc.) but he BG was never higher than 8.8, which we were dead chuffed with, ( I wish it was always like that but we do get the odd high number sometimes, 13/14 :? )and this was easily corrected. We could never have hoped to get numbers like this with injections, and Lily loves the new found freedom.
We are going on holiday on the 13th Feb and will eat out a lot, this is going to be a real challenge, but we are quite confident that we can cope, ( he said hopefully). :D
Keep it up.

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi harry :D

well done on the party great result with so much food, i think like me we sometimes have to guess at carbs but they are educated guesses and not usually too far out sure u will be fine on hols :D

i think ur right about the night time just wanted to let it settle after a weekend of jiggling things alot he woke with a result of 13 again this morning but went to bed with one of 5 and at 10 was 8 but put it down to the fact he had been disconnected for an hour for taekwondo :D will leave it for tonight as its swimming night and that always takes it out of him but wont do the m and ms tonight :D

anna marie

becki

Hi,

Good to hear that its all working out well, i'm really excited about getting my pump on friday (think everyone who isn't diabetic thinks i'm v sad for the excitement) the freedom feeling is what i'm looking forward too.
I'm sure i'll be posting lots of q'd.

Glad its working out my wee boy is always asking about my diabetes and keeping me on track, so its nice to hear that it will help Dylan have a much easier life x

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi becky

we def feel free for the first time in years and it is alot of work but its worth every waking moment and all the workings out :lol:

we were as excited as u and completely understand where u are coming from good luck u will love it

anna marie

sugar2

Fabulous news! They tend to start you off on a lower rate than they think you (he!) needs, so he doesn't gypo...completely usually to have to build up the basal rate.

Another member of the "I love my pump" club!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
woohoo im so excited he woke up this morning with a blood result of 5.2 best morning result we have had :D :D :D :D :D

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
ams162 said:
woohoo im so excited he woke up this morning with a blood result of 5.2 best morning result we have had :D :D :D :D :D

awwh, Well done. you must be bursting with all those smileys :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i certainly am lol nice to feel we are getting there makes me so happy seeing a good number dylan was chuffed too :D

ebony321

Dislikes
ams162 said:
i certainly am lol nice to feel we are getting there makes me so happy seeing a good number dylan was chuffed too :D

I bet it does, i get my pump in 12 days and i've been waiting for well over a year so i can expect waiting that long and getting results that good in the morning must make all the hardwork worth it!!

How is dylan with the pump? has he named it yet? :lol:

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
he loves not having the injections and is getting use to carrying it around with him he hasnt complained about it at all, i think he likes it as much as i do, i ask him every few days what do u think of the pump he does the thumbs up thumbs down thing and his thumb lands between facing up and the middle so i take that as good :D

no names yet tho he cant decide he liked kevin but not sure why lol and now we have his case arrive its better for him as its not in his clothes so not so hard to get ready at pe etc

good luck for ur pump start the waiting is horrible but it is worth the wait in my opinion anyway and as the days go on i get more confident with it

anna marie

ebony321

Dislikes
ams162 said:
he loves not having the injections and is getting use to carrying it around with him he hasnt complained about it at all, i think he likes it as much as i do, i ask him every few days what do u think of the pump he does the thumbs up thumbs down thing and his thumb lands between facing up and the middle so i take that as good :D

no names yet tho he cant decide he liked kevin but not sure why lol and now we have his case arrive its better for him as its not in his clothes so not so hard to get ready at pe etc

good luck for ur pump start the waiting is horrible but it is worth the wait in my opinion anyway and as the days go on i get more confident with it

anna marie

Bless him, i'm glad he likes it! i'm sure he'll come up with a good one, my 6 year old nephew named his cat creepy, and she's a girl!! haha!

I'm sure as time goes on you'll both be experts with it so it'll get a big two thumbs up!

It must take alot of dedication and effort to take care of a child with diabetes, luckily i've only had diabetes two years and im 22 so i've always taken care of it myself, i always read the posts from parents and it's always great to see what a good job you guys do :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
being a parent is one of the hardest job in the world but add diabetes to it and it s def harder, my life is totally wrapped up in dylans and when hes not with me my thoughts are constantly with him. i find it very difficult to let him go but know u have to.

having said that things could always be worse he could of had cancer or something terminal he hasnt hes here and that i will be grateful for forever as at diagnosis it was very touch and go. hes a brave little boy and i love him to bits as any mum does :D

im sure he will come up with a name soon and the thumbs keep going up which is great as he didnt really want it being scared of the unknown, and as his levels settle and he can eat abit more at the times he wants he will love it even more

anna marie

Hazza

:shock: :D That's a seriously good number Anna Marie, I'm so chuffed for you both. Now you know how it feels you will want to keep it going all the time, I know we do. We still hit a high or low one sometimes but we are more than happy with the majority of Lilys numbers.

YIPPEE!!!

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
lol thanks harry we were chuffed still had a 3.8 at lunch tho going to have to lower the morning basal again hes only on 0.125ph now so not alot but starting the day on a good number is great and gives us more of a chance of getting good numbers at lunch too :D

anna marie

Hazza

We had a 12.7 at tea time but then she has a private lesson for an hour on Wednesdays and has a biscuit and juice. We never know what biscuit she will have so we bolus 1.0 unit to offset the carbs and I also think that she has hijuice. I'm sure she will be OK after her tea and a correction.
She went to bed at 5.2 last night and got up at 5.4 so we are happy bunnies.
I hope the morning numbers are good for you again, I'm sure they will be.

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
he was 10.9 when he came home from school and 5.9 before tea so quite a drop there but even so better numbers all day today if i can get rid of the hypo at dinner i will be happy have lowered basal to 0.100 for morn tomorrow and changed bolus to 1u for 25g so see what that does tomorrow now but def getting there i feel :D :D

anna marie