Low BG and not hungry

paula1974

Im not talking about hypos but getting low, say in the low 4s. I often wake up with a bg of say 4.3 and at tea time too. What can I do if Im not hungry? ive ended up forcing down choc or slices of bread just to up my bg. I keep lowering my basal but this still happen.

If I wasnt diabetic id be as thin as a rake by now!! Lol!!

paula1974

Dont know if it would, will try. But how long would iy keep it up for? would i crash down after?

Thanks for the advice x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As you use insulin to treat manage your diabetes it would be advisable to keep away from such low numbers as you are sailing close to the wind regarding hypoglycemia. Either adjust your insulin to avoid these lows or do as Claire suggests and drink some fluids such as a small glass of fresh orange juice.

Nigel

paula1974

I have adjusted insulin a lot. Lantus down from 48 to 42 so far. On Novorapid. majority of time dont need it at breakfast and tea time. Continuing to lower Lantus. This AM bg was 4.5 so had glass of juice. 2hrs later bg was 7.4. 3hrs was 5.6. Will see what it is at lunch.

Thanks for your reply
Paula

Snodger

I think you are totally doing the right thing by keeping on taking the lantus down... if you are regularly waking at a low level and regularly going low at tea time, that really sounds like the lantus causing the problem to me. Especially as you are saying you don't even need novorapid at meals... that sounds like your lantus is way too high for you. I know everyone's different but just for comparison, my lantus levels are 16.
As for treating hypos when you aren't hungry, I used to force loads of food down me when I was dropping low, but actually I've found that just a gulp of sweet drink or two/three wine gums can often lift me out of it, especially if it's 4ish rather than lower. A relief, because it is horrible trying to eat when you don't want to. Every hypo is different of course. Getting the lantus to the right level will be the key.